1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The after effects of bulimia *trigger warning*

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by estrella, May 11, 2013.

1. estrella

I've been in recovery from bulimia for nearly two years. While I was sick for two years prior, I really didn't think all my binging and purging was as bad as others, therefore I wasn't really sick enough. Of course, every body responds differently, and I'm pretty sure that eating 12 pop tarts in 20 minutes isn't considered very healthy--neither is purging an average of three times a day.

I've come off all of my medications (yay!) and haven't been engaging in those disordered behaviours for some time now. Still, I don't feel as well as I thought I would--physically, at least. I get many stomach cramps still, I cannot eat certain foods because of acid reflex, certain foods and drinks make my stomach cramp like hell. I have major digestive issues.

So, if there is anyone else here who has suffered from bulimia, are there any noticeable after effects, regardless of how "bad" you think your disorder was?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never experienced this myself, but I know others who have. I saw this helpful link that you may be interested in: Bulimia & Eating Disorders Information and Healing Tips
    Here is a VERY succinct version of the physical after effects from this link:

3. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was lucky enough to start recovery after a year of struggling with bulimia. So thankfully I have no longstanding problems with digestion. I do have a friend who does have acid reflux and she wakes up regularly feeling ill, throwing up acid - it's not fun. I can imagine none of your symptoms are any fun so I'm sorry for that but also a massive well done on your recovery. I realise that might sound patronising but I know how hard it can be.
    Very occasionally I find myself with slight acid reflux, but not very often, sometimes with milky drinks especially.
    Have you been to see a doctor? I know there are medications that can be provided for harsh acid reflux which might ultimately help the rest of your digestive system as the excess of acid may be causing many of the issues you've talked about?