1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boredom eating

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GlindaRose, Apr 13, 2008.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I'm at boarding school I tend to boredom eat a lot (because school is generally a very boring place to be). A lot of the time, I don't eat real meals because I don't like the food, so I end up eating marmite toast instead, and when I'm in my dorm not doing anything in particular, I get marmite toast cravings and end up going up to the kitchen to make some. When I'm at home I don't do this because I'm not bored and I do eat real food, but at school the ration between slices of marmite toast and real meals is probably something like this:

Toast : meal
    5 : 1

Now, I know this can't possibly be considered healthy and I really want to stop doing that, but I don't know what to do to fill the gaps where I'm not doing anything. I go back to school in 2 days and wanted to get some advice before then. So...help???

EDIT: Please don't say things like 'go hang out with friends' and stuff...I don't really have any close friends at school. Probably part of the reason for all the boredom.

#1 GlindaRose, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. Louise

AAAggghhh all that salt! Stop, please stop! My mother has a Marmite adiction, the salt has accumulated in all her joints as salt cristals that her body can no longer eliminate and acts like sand paper on her cartilige. I can't even begin to tell you the pain she is in when she moves!

If you are really board, even if the call of marmite toast is very strong go and snack on fruit or raw veggies, then when you give in to the call of the marmite toast you can feel righteous because you will already have eaten something healthy beforehand.

Do you read? If you are a reader I would suggest you spend more time in the library in the section of your prefered choice. If you prefer films then ask you parents to buy you a personal DVD player and watch more films. Listen to more Celine Dion. Are you a solitary person or would you prefer to be more social? It is difficult to give you suggestions as I don't know you very well.

Boredom hits us all, Sundays are the worst for me. The only solution is to force yourself to do an activity of some sort... reading, swimming, walking, cycling, watching a film, doing some charity work for your local church but for all that you do have to give yourself a kick up the backside a bit and get yourself motivated.

3. Grof142007

if ur bored come on EC =)

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Louise said, my suggestion would be to read a lot. Also, get into video games--they can suck HOURS of your time and if you're really into them, you just won't eat period. Okay, that's its own problem. :slight_smile:

The other thing to do would be to take a lot of challenging courses at school so the homework keeps you hopping. Or start getting involved in some extra-curricular activities: sports/art/drama/music.

I'm kinda surprised you have such a problem with boredom. I would've guessed you were super-involved in stuff or that schoolwork would keep you busy.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhhh but here's the thing: I get bored with WORK!!! lol. I'll be in my dorm doing prep or whatever and then suddenly I'll be like 'Oh screw it' and will go upstairs and make toast and come back down and continue 10 minutes later. So work doesn't exactly stop me eating toast.......

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I see. Well, just don't make toast. Make fake toast. Go through all the motions but just don't use bread or marmite. You can be like the toast-making mime.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It sounds like it's just what you do when you want 10 minutes away from work. It's become a habit to go and make toast in those 10 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with taking breaks. Some people reckon a 10 minute break every hour is good. I often need to take breaks like that when working too.

I think you need to find something else to do or somewhere else to go for these breaks. Away from your desk but not in the kitchen. :wink:

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does that include bed? lol...shame I'm single. I could do with the company.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well most things you'd in bed would take longer than making and eating toast! :slight_smile:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speak for yourself... I could distract myself for ten minutes in bed. Quite nicely, actually.

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but I wish I had someone to do it for me... :wink:

What the hell I'm not even legal!! But also what the hell because I will be in a month!! lol

How the hell did we get from marmite toast to bedtime activities?????

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Um, look at post #8! :slight_smile:

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because ANYTHING, even root canals, is better than talking about marmite. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. FlatEarth

You should just slowly get yourself off the habit of marmite toast-eating. Like, let's say you eat it 5 times a day, evenly spread out throughout the day. The next day (or week if you want to take it even slower), lower it to 4 times, still evenly spread out. If you lower this enough, you might get to just one or two toasts a day!

#14 FlatEarth, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Flatearth has a good idea. Or, every time you get a craving, do a crossword or a Sudoku or one of those Japanese puzzles Or a Rubix cube! Or take up a hobby, like drawing or sewing. Computer games are always good. Or write random poems or stories. If you need something in your mouth, get loads of chewing gum, because you just spit it out :slight_smile: