1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuttering

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tim, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Does anyone have some links to some good sites about stuttering? In the past few months, I have begun stuttering. I can't really help it, when I want to say something, my voice and mouth just don't want to say them, and will stutter trying to. My family has noticed, and I feel very embarrassed afterwards. It happens 3-4 times in a 2-3 minute conversation, if not more. It doesn't sound like a very noticeable number, but trust me it is. My bells palsy has made me hate smiling, I love talking, I don't want this to control me like my Bells Palsy does. The weird thing is, I don't stutter when singing along to songs alone, but when talking to someone, I do. I was told by a friend that that's normal, but not sure ~.~ My mom is being lazy in transferring over my doctor's files from my pediatrician to the new doctor (for some reason I can't do that, guess cause my mom started the pediatrician account), so I can't go to a doctor, as I'm being told my Bells Palsy should've gone away already and stuttering normally doesn't randomly start, and I need to be checked.

My sister brought up something that has started to worry me and her. My mom used to have a Brain Tumor. She was wondering if mom possibly passed on some of the genetic markers that cause Brain Tumors, I didn't think it was possible, but still, she said she did her research >_< The thing that scares me, is that tumors are proven to be able to cause both Bells Palsy and stuttering. I know all this could easily be resolved with a doctor's trip, but my mom keeps forgetting, and I'm debating telling her I think something might be wrong and she NEEDS to transfer them. I also get a pain behind my ear all the time, like when my Bells Palsy first started, and that's been happening a lot in the past few months, when my stuttering started, which just leads to more worries. Any ideas/suggestions on what I could do?

#1 Tim, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. Vampyrecat

Firstly, I would convince your mother to transfer your files over. If she doesn't well, it doesn't really matter, because you're 19, and legally you don't need her permission to go to the doctor. Is there a free clinic in your area? you could go to one of those if there is one.

Try to go to a doctor, it's always better to be safe then sorry.

Also, maybe go to a speech therapist, it may help to give you some more control over your speech, and help give you more confidence in yourself.

Hope this helps Myzou :slight_smile:

3. JSG

JSG Guest

I sometimes stutter when I'm stressed or not feeling too well, it happens a few times in the day and can last for 2 or 3 weeks. I hate it...
    I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice.

4. Louise

Firstly you REALLY need to get checked out by your doctor, if only to put your mind at rest.

Stress, tiredness or having something on your mind that you don't want to talk about can all make you stutter.

The reason you can sing but not talk is a question of breathing. Sever stutterers who have help over coming this handicap are taught to calm themselves down, think of the words they want to say and then say them whilst breathing out. Controling of the breathing helps with the stuttering.

Anyway that is by the by. Go and see a doctor, at 19 you can choose who you see or just ask your mum with a bit of insistance to get on and transfer your file. :kiss:

5. Orion

Yeah! you must definetly get checked by your doctor and I don't know how the laws are there, but I'm pretty sure you an make the transfer yourself.

Oh and my cousin used to stutter a lot when younger, but she could sing with no problem. Thing is, singing takes a completely different process in your mind for each word. So, once she was told by her doctor that severe stuttering problems are treated with singing, and many heavy stutterers communicate with singing a lot.

My two cents, oh and you should really see a doctor, ASAP!

6. Jim1454

Get to the doctor and have this looked at. If you have a history of brain tumours in your family, you need to explore that possibility. It may be nothing, but it may be something. You owe it to yourself to get it checked.

I'm surprised that your mother is being so casual about this... given her own history. Obviously she has recovered - but you can't wait. Keep us posted.

7. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i stutter very bad people cant under stand some times at all what i say!!! but i have learning problems also . mum and dad have taken me to a lot of doctors and specialsts since i was a little kid but im in 11th grade at high school now. i had to repeat a this year . its better now becuase my brother is at my high school and looks out for me but dad said i still cant go up to the shops at randwick myself becuase he reckons i could get in trouble if i hang around with a bad lot of other kids.
    is your school work going ok??? i also have a part time job now to and its helped me a bit because when i leave school i want to get a good job
    i hope you dont get a brain tumor it sounds bad thing i hope every thing will be ok for you!!!
    i find reading hard also can your reading things are ok also???

8. Vampyrecat

One thing I just remembered, a trick I learnt when I had problems with a stutter was to switch the word over.

Like, I'd be trying to say angry and I'd be like " an a a a an ang ann furious!"

If you suddenly switch over, then your mind just spits out the word for some reason, it really helped me. this also works if you know multiple languages. If you're trying to say
    "Angry" in english, then if you swap to French and say "Fâché" that can also help too. (thank the lords for online language translators)
    Also, if you find your breathing quickens because you're getting frustrated then just stop speaking/stuttering and calm yourself for 10-15 seconds, breathing slowly, and try again.

By the way, it's been a while, did you get your files changed over, get yourself checked at the docs?

9. jenko83

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i stutter when i get stressed, its unpredictable in the sense that its not regular and it happens to various degrees.

when it happens i get stressed about it and i find myself in a stuttering vicious circle.

my advice to you is this- and take it at face value cos im no doctor...

dont be embarrased, dont feel ashamed and if it helps embrace this little quirk and explain that u stuter sometimes. my workmates all know when i get stressed cos my phone calls are much longer, sometimes they intervien and take my calls for me, which is sweet

try not to worry too much :slight_smile::slight_smile:

10. Alexander

I don't stutter, but I sometimes fall over my words cause I"m talking way too fast. 2 weeks of speech conditioning and it was almost all gone :slight_smile: go see someone about it.