1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT question

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mflorida0921, May 16, 2013.

1. mflorida0921

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone know if it is possible to go straigh to a endocrinologist to get prescription HRT or do I really have to get a letter of recommendation from a therapist to go on prescription HRT. The reason I ask is because money is really tight right now and having to pay $100 or more on therapy monthly is too much at the moment. I live in the city of Bradenton, and we don't have any full time work here and Bradenton doesn't offer much when it comes to employment. I'll be starting a part time job in about a few days and was just want to know if they may be possible.

2. Theodora

Hey Melissa. :slight_smile:

It is possible to get a hormone prescription without a letter from a psychologist but you'd need to find a doctor that uses an informed consent model. Basically you're informed of the risks and effects and take responsibility for the decision yourself. I have a PDF that lists some but I don't see any in Florida on it :icon_sad:... Unfortunately places that do HRT without a psychologist's approval are still hard to find.

Try searching for 'Informed Consent clinic HRT Florida' and things like that. I hope you find what you're looking for!

3. Just Jess

Hi Melissa,

I wasn't able to find an informed consent clinic near you either, sorry.

I know the time between coming out and hormones can eat people alive. A few things you can do without hormones that are going to be part of your transition anyway,

* You can work on your voice. CandiFLA is someone on youtube that a lot of us start with

* You can get permanent hair removal. From what I understand if your hair is dark like mine, laser is a cheaper option, and electrolysis works with everyone and is a little more thorough

* And you can get more comfortable being yourself around other people. Are you out to anyone that you can be yourself around? If you can make friends with cis girls it helps a lot, because you have someone you can go shopping with and some strength in numbers when you do come out.

Good luck with your transition! Please don't hesitate to message any of us if you need help.

4. KaraBulut

Unfortunately, because of some of the risks associated with female hormone treatments, responsible endocrinologists do want the patient to have both a psychological assessment and they require return appointments for monitoring of the hormone treatments.

This can be expensive and insurance won't cover most of the costs.

I always recommend counseling with a therapist who works with gender dysphoria clients. It's worth the time and the cost.