1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom teeth extraction

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anthonythegamer, May 17, 2013.

1. My dentist estimated that I'll get all four of my wisdom teeth removed next month. I'm scared! :help: Is it going to hurt? My dentist isn't all that reassuring. He said that I'm just going to get numbed down instead of being sedated so will it hurt?

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was knocked out when I had mine removed so it's a little different, but the surgery didn't hurt at all. Trust me the drugs afterwards are very strong so you won't notice

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had mine out about two years ago. I was knocked out for my procedure, so it was a bit different than yours.
    If you're numbed down properly you won't feel a thing, the only difference is you'll be able to watch what they're doing.
    Afterwards, it didn't hurt so much as just ache for a while.

4. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well they're not FUN to get pulled, but it isn't so bad. I got a few days off of school (yay!), ate lots of ice cream and pudding (Huzzah!), and had a movie marathon (always a good idea). The actual surgery didn't hurt while it was happening, but I was under anesthesia because my teeth were badly impacted, and it was a surgery not just a tooth pull. When I woke up there was no pain. It ached a little bit a little later in that same day.

I was given prescription pain medication for the next few days and it helped. Mostly it started aching when the swelling happened, and lasted for a few days. I seem to have a MUCH bigger swelling response than anyone else I've ever known that had their wisdom teeth out. My friends and family had theirs out, had poofy cheeks for a day and felt better. I had one friend that felt like nothing had happened in a about 36 hours. So odds are you won't get as swollen as me, and even what I had was manageable. Some aching, some ice packs on my cheeks, and soft food. You'll get through it. And yours probably aren't half as bad as mine if you can be awake for it.

I've had non-wisdom teeth pulled with just numbing instead of sedation and it didn't hurt one bit when it was happening, and really didn't hurt after either. I mean I'd avoid pointy chips like Doritos for a week or so, but other than that you're good to go. :slight_smile:

5. Zontar

I had one fully impacted tooth extracted consciously when I was fourteen. Even when you're awake it's not bad. They give you a shot and believe me when I say you don't feel anything. Doesn't hurt at all, it's very strange. It's safer to stay awake and the only reason they put you under is for nerves, so if you're not very nervous, I would suggest you just go awake because it's not bad at all.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had two wisdom teeth pulled under local anesthesia (I wasn't knocked out.) It took all of 15 or 20 minutes, I didn't feel anything, and it wasn't a problem at all. They gave me a prescription for Vicodin, but I never had to take it; I just took ibuprofen for 2 or 3 days and ate soft foods for about a week, and that was that.

Part of it is simply learning to relax, and one of the best things you can do if you find yourself getting nervous is just stop and consciously take very deep, slow breaths, which will force your body into a more relaxed state. Your dentist might let you wear headphones and listen to music, which can also help.

It really isn't bad.

7. Linguistic_Geek

I had my wisdom teeth taken out 2 at a time. I can't be put under, so it was just numbing. Both sets came out with no problems. They have me Tylenol with Codiene, but I took one, looped out and stuck to regular Tylenol for 2 or 3 days. The pain wasn't bed enough to feel like I was floating.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 16 when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I was numbed and given IV sedation. Is there a reason they aren't sedating you?

I hardly felt any pain at all. My face was a tiny bit swollen, and I could tell there was a bit of bruising. They stitched my gums up with dissolvable stitches, but I kept feeling like there was food trapped in my gums, so I took my stitches out myself. (I do not recommend you do this. I just got lucky.) I was eating solid food by the 2nd or 3rd day. My only problem was that I bled a lot. But this was my personal experience.Three of my friends, who had their wisdom teeth removed, all experienced dry socket and couldn't eat solid food for 2 weeks.

I also remember waking up during the surgery. I remember seeing the surgeon's hands in my mouth and him talking about how good the surgery was looking so far. But I was so out of it, and I fell back asleep, lol. I felt no pain when I woke up and it's because I was numb. I had a very good experience with my surgery.

9. I think it's because my insurance won't cover IV sedation (dunno why). Plus, my parents have heard that general anesthetics could have lingering effects the next day and my parents want me focused for finals at school.

Thanks everyone! Now, I'm more calm for the procedure :icon_bigg