1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise: let me change it from nightmare to enjoyable

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Quitex, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Quitex

Quitex Guest

So title says all. I am a couch potatoe +++ and basically all the work-out I do is walk a little on uni, and some stairs at uni too. ALL I do and it is killing me, more emotionally than physically.

I just realized the depression I went throuhg is because I am not happy with the way I look :frowning2: so I decided to make a change and since I don't have money for a gym, a little of advice on good work-out sessions for begginers ^please^ would be.

I don't want to go deep on details but nothing too heavy to start with - Obviously difficulty will be increasing with time when I get used to excersice. I am 17, like... 5' 7"
    tall and uhhh... severily overweight? We are not talking of couple of pounds, but of couple of dozens of pounds.

:help:

2. Grof142007

Re: Excersice: let me change it from nightmare to enjoyable.

go walking around the block with A FRIEND OR PET OR MUSIC

walking for a couple of weeks then fast walking then eventually led up to a jog

or go to a YMCA they ususally have a GYM

3. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

your univeristy dosent have a gym? most universitys have a free gym for students...anyways...you can always run outside or bike too...do 1 hour of bikeing or running everyday ...then step it up to like an hour and 20mins after your heart,lungs, and legs get stronger...youll get in shape in no time..:lol:

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

uh... my Uni has no gym... only an outdoor basketball thingy which is awful. I'll stick at biking. All I need is a bike... and to learn how to ride one.

5. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

do you live on campus? because if you dont, provided that you dont live too far away, you could try walking or riding to and from campus each day.

6. RENThead

i live 30-45 min drive from my work, so i ride my bike to the train station, then from the station at the other end to work

its kinda me forcing to exercise, because i dont wanna be late for work, and i dont want to be home too late...

also, swimming is good, or take the dog for a walk...

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Do a couple of situps before you go to bed. The next week, do 3. Then do 4, then 5 etc. Or get an exercise bike and do 2 minutes every day. Then increase.

The best points are:
    1. have a simple goal
    2. start very small and work up
    3. have a distraction such as music

8. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Like a lot have said, it just takes little steps at first which can get bigger. Start walking more places, or start walking in the first place. Start with short little walks, and every few days or week or so, add more time/distance to it. Same could be said with going to the weightroom/gym, use light weights for 20 minutes or so, take a few days off and go back for another 20 minutes. After a couple weeks of this, start staying longer and eventually adding more weights, and before you know it, you'll have doubled the weight and time.
    The key really is to change tiny things successively. Also music, listen to music, it's a wonderful distraction.

9. Jim1454

The trick is to start out slow. I had never been very active either, but decided that I just HAD to get fit and lose some weight. So I started walking and jogging 3 or 4 times a week - not more than that. At first I would walk for 4 minutes and jog for just 1. I would be out for about half an hour. Then, after a couple of weeks, I would walk for 3 minutes and jog for 1. Eventually I got to where I was walking for 1 and jogging for 3 minutes. It's really great exercise - just be careful not to over do it.

Swimming is also good, but you need to have access to a convenient pool to swim lengths - assuming you can swim. I'm now up to swimming 40 lengths a couple of times a week - which is 1km.

Good luck - You'll feel better within a few days!