1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why am i so worried? headaches

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by stumble along, May 26, 2013.

1. stumble along

I almost never get them, my mother and her side are prone to headaches, and my dads side is prone to cancer. It's always been at the back of my mind but for some reason it skips genders every generation, and though its stupid, it gives me some security that technically I'm safe.

Now, this Monday morning, I woke up with my eyes feeling very bruised whenever I tried to look around, though nothing physical showed up. Whenever I tried to stand up or sit up, I would get a headache, solved by either intensive physical activity or sitting the fuck down.

This has persisted with my symptoms slowly going away but even Saturday morning I woke up with my eyes hurting (only when i look up now) and a headache that's persisting (more intense when standing) till around 12pm.

I saw the doctor on Friday because its concerning and yeah, it makes me want to do a whole lot of nothing. He suggested it could be a sinus infection and that to take antibiotics, ibuprofens, and sleep aids till a check up on Tuesday, and if things are better that ill be okay and if not then he does an MRI.

Now, the way things are going I might be symptomless by Tuesday, but for some reason I'm.really scared and I kind of want to do the MRI anyway just to get rid of all doubt, though if its too costly.or the radiation will.do more harm than good, I'm willing to sit in an enigma for now.

I dont know i jist want reassirance or something, I might not look it but I'm scared.

At least the antibiotics are clearing up my skin like no tomorrow :icon_bigg

2. photoguy93

Well, do you have another other symptoms with the headaches? They could be migraines....but you usually don't want to be doing activity, haha.

Look - if you find out there's nothing wrong, and it's absolutely true, then you will have your assurance. Unless they find out you have an extremely rare disease, there's usually treatment for whatever you could get. Or, if there's nothing right now, there might be.

I have a heart condition - it's fine right now, but it could someday lead to be having work done. When I first found out, I was so scared. However, my mom told me that at least it's being watched! That changed my whole outlook on it. Instead of not having anything checked up on, I get a work up every year. I feel better knowing professionals are watching over me.

Best of luck!

3. KaraBulut

The US is having a very abundant rain season this year which is driving up pollen levels. So, we're seeing a lot of people coming in with the kind of symptoms you're describing. We are treating them much like what your doctor recommended- with painkillers, hot showers, saline nasal irrigations, decongestants and in some cases, steroid sprays/injections.

And it is possible that, if the sinuses remain blocked for too long, an infection can occur. In which case, more aggressive treatment may be necessary.

Your doctor probably suggested a CT of the sinuses. A CT of the head does produce a lot of radiation to the area. An MRI does not use radiation (it uses magnetic fields) but we generally don't do MRIs for sinuses.

If this is a sinus infection, then it may take about a week to clear up to a point where you feel like yourself again. If it's allergies, it may persist until we're through the worst of pollen season. Give the ibuprofen and antibiotics until Tuesday to see if they begin to make you feel better. You might also add an antihistamine, nasal irrigations and a decongestant and see if those help.

Even though it's tempting to lay in bed, do try to sit up where possible to allow your sinuses to drain. Laying flat tends to slow drainage.