1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have ADHD... so that's why I have all these studying problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Typhoon, May 26, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well it would explain a lot. I came across the term in the film Thumbsucker, then this morning there was a newspaper article that made me freeze.

The issue is that I am already mildly autistic. I guessed that I might have autism and talked to my counselor who asked me a lot of questions related to behaviour at home and out of it, and although she said she was not specialized in this area, I clearly had a case of Asperger's syndrome rather than full autism.

Regarding the article I read, anyway I saw several points that are just me.

Have a hard time paying attention
    Not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    Get distracted and bored easily
    Forget easily (this is true for me, I only don't forget and remember for a very long time when I force myself to do so, such as when I study for exams)
    Constantly move, squirm or fidget
    Act or speak without thinking
    Have no sense of time

It would explain all my problems I get regarding studying ._.
    I always blamed my autism, however mild on this, but could it be that I have both?

2. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    *sigh*

Can anyone help me figure this out?

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the feedback guys :slight_smile: You guys are such a helpful bunch and stuff :roflmao:

4. FemCasanova

*hugs*

Have you voiced your thoughts with your therapist/counselor? You cannot be diagnosed online, but what I can say is that yes, it is fully possibly to have more than one diagnosis, to have a mix of two or more disorders. You could have both Asperger and ADHD, but only your counselor can help you figure out that for sure. My sister has ADHD, albeit she has it quite severely, but her symptoms are some of the same you describe, as well as a temper/mood that goes up and down a lot. She has trouble concentrating, is easily distracted, cannot sit still if she has nothing to focus on, speaks quickly, struggle with racing thoughts, etc. You can read up online on the symptoms, but talk with your counselor about it, because self-diagnosing isn`t productive :slight_smile:

It could be a good idea though to read up on it and write down some of the things you feel are true for you in advance, that could signal that you might have some degree of ADHD, and show this to your counselor so that you can discuss it together.

:slight_smile:

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, an estimated 50% of autistic people have ADHD too, so you're not alone.

The underlined traits do sound a lot like ADHD. It can be tricky to diagnose ADHD in an autistic person because autism can mimic ADHD, but the traits you mentioned sound more ADHD than autism. (By the way, I'm an autistic who was thought to have ADHD but really doesn't.)

6. KnownSecret

I myself have ADHD but do not have autism, and I went to a counselor and got diagnosed. I would really suggest you to go to a therapist/counselor to make sure completely. ADHD takes a lot of patients to figure out, especially learning the best way to get yourself to study. I always struggled with sitting still and paying attention in school so i was prescribed medicine, such as Adderal, i must say now that Adderal gave me pretty horrible nightmares when i was younger and it did make it difficult for me to sleep sometimes, so i would suggest talking to a counselor (after being diagnosed with ADHD) before taking any drugs to know the side effects. Medicine isn't always the alternative with ADHD though :slight_smile: You can always learn to handle it by yourself it just takes a bunch of time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope you luck :slight_smile:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have ADD, with some visual processing difficulties, which was fully diagnosed by a proper series of tests with a trained professional.

It is really important to have the proper tests done, ADD/ADHD are some of the most commonly mis-diagnosed conditions around.

8. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I have ADHD, and probably some autism leaning (or at least not neurotypical) tendencies. I have also worked with many elementary school and middle school age students have autism, and most of them have had trouble focusing and staying on task with just the single diagnosis, but as far as I'm aware, it is definitely possible to have both. The symptoms you describe could in my experience apply both to people who have autism and who have ADHD.

The thing is, even if I was qualified to make a diagnosis (which I'm not), it can't be done over the internet. A good place for you to start would be your school's counseling office (I assume you're in school because you mention problems studying). A counselor there should be able to give you a better understanding of what's going on and should be able to make a referral to a psychiatrist who can do a formal diagnosis and who can prescribe medication if necessary.

Unfortunately, this can become very expensive if you don't have insurance (in the U.S. at least, but you haven't listed your location). I believe that most GPs don't like to make the initial diagnosis, but many will prescribe medication after a psychiatrist does the diagnosis (this can be a cheaper option sometimes).

If you want to get accommodations from your school (such as extended time on tests), you should contact your school's disability office. They will require some kind of documentation of your disability, which I believe can run anywhere from an official letter from your doctor to a full battery of learning disability and other tests, which can be time consuming and expensive. I don't really get why that's necessary as there's no definitive test for ADHD, and it's not even classified as a learning disability, but if school is really hard for you, and it's financially feasible, it might be worth it.

Good luck

9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks ^^

Already have spoken ages ago about autism to my counselor and said that I shows strong traits of having Asperger's. About ADHD we obviously haven't discussed.