1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss help

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hexagon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Okay, I am anticipating getting top surgery in about four months, and I've just received a referral to a surgeon. I will probably have a consultation in a couple of months time. The doctor who referred me has told me that it is possible (but not definite) that I'll be told to loose weight before I can have surgery - and that results will be better if I do that.

To get down to the threshold I may be given, I believe I will need to loose 27kg in four months, which is quite a lot. I know the basics, don't starve yourself, drink water, exercise, but I was wondering if I could get some advice beyond that. I've downloaded an app which has a barcode scanning facility I'm finding useful. It scans the barcode of whatever I'm eating and records the nutritional content of what I'm eating to make sure I'm not eating too much. I've tried to loose weight in the past, without much success, and though I'm feeling more confident this time, I really have no idea whether I'll be able to do this.

#1 Hexagon, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. FreeFlow9917

I started to condition myself for football with the guys, we lift and run. What i suggest doing is cardio, such as walking or running. Try to walk x amount of miles a day three days a week. Cut down he amount of soda or other unhealthy drink and eat a certain amount of health foods a day. Don't worry of what other people say and go your own pace and have a mind set on your goals. It's all mental commitment, lift weights, maybe jog a certain mile without stopping. Like i said if you put your mind into it, you can do anything you want. Im 15 6"2 240 pounds and im trying to lose weight, just have a mindset goal and rise above judgement and i gura damn tee you, you'll be fit before you know it

3. TraceElement

Stay away from white carbs and substitute brown carbs. Like instead of white bread take wheat bread, and brown rice instead of white rice. Watch your fat consumption with meat... generally speaking red meats are laiden with fat. Try chicken, turkey, or ham.

For all meals,make your plate colorful.
    An example for breakfast is oatmeal (preferably a weight management one with extra protien and fiber) with blueberries and strawberries, turkey sausage and a glass of water with lemon or whole wheat toast with a touch of peanut butter and an apple.
    For lunch, you could do a whole wheat wrap filled with spinach, peppers, tomatoes, onion, light balogna and a touch of low fat honey mustard.
    For dinner, do a marinated chicken breast (fat free italian dressing is marvelous) with quenoa, broccoli, and carrots.
    As for snacks go, try packing snack bags. I like packing low fat wheat thins, carrots, celery, peppers, things like that. This way, you're not eating out of the big bag and not fallowing servings.
    ast but not least, exersize. Take walks around the block, take the stair not the elevator, do exersize dids, or do laps up and down your stairs. There are simple strength exersizes. Let me know if you want some.

4. Hexagon

You know, I knew when I was writing the post that I should have said something about being vegetarian. But I didn't. :bang: I don't think sometimes.

Thanks for the advice, its helpful apart from the meat stuff.

Regarding strength exercises, I am honestly a little apprehensive about doing them. I've had weights in my room for ages, and I've used them regularly. But gaining muscle puts on weight, and while I'm totally aware that the weight is healthy, it still isn't being taken into account in BMI calculations, which is what my qualification for surgery may be judged on. Stupid, I know.

5. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think you need to worry about gaining muscle weight. It's hard to build muscles and lose weight at the same time. Cardio burns more fat during the workout but if you lift weights it burns more after the workout. If you do many reps with light weight you should be fine.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. Hexagon

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

A pound of fat is something like 3,500 calories. So, if you eat 500 calories less a day for a week you will lose one pound. If you eat 1000 calories less than you do now a day...you'll lose two pounds. You can eat basically anything you want, just don't go over your calorie limit for the day. Don't drink soda or juices. Water only. Look for low calorie alternatives. And exercise. Do the couch to 5k program. It will whip you into shape.

The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

#8 Kidd, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  9. eatsleepclimb

If you don't eat meat, nuts are great. They fill you up! Eggs too. Both have a lot of protein and if you eat two hard boiled eggs (140 calories) it will fill you up for a while even though it's not that many calories.
    You can keep your metabolism for the day high by eating a good (big and healthy) breakfast, then a small dinner (don't go to bed really full, no point in that).
    Good luck!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

10. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My sister did the entire Insanity workout, but she didn't lose weight. I think she lost fat, but she gained it back in muscle. So, keep in mind that if you're going to be exercising a lot, you might not see the weight difference instantly because you're also gaining muscle at the same time.

Soon (next month), I'll be religiously fasting. Often, after doing it for one month, I lose weight. Generally, the fasting I do involves no food or drink from sunrise to sunset (and then I can eat whatever I want after sunset). As I've been doing it for one month every year for the past 16 years or so, the beginning of the month is generally the hardest, but then the body gets used to it and the stomach sort of shrinks so I'm eating pretty standard after breaking my fast. However, I also know individuals who gain weight during this month after fasting.

I think it's perhaps the small snacks that a person has during the day can end up adding the calories. Maybe try avoiding snacks (drink water of course though), and focus on just having 2 meals per day? If you will be exercising though, light & healthy snacks would be important.

11. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Keep in mind portion sizes are also a huge issue when it comes to food, not just what you eat.
    Watch the calories, the carbs (somewhat), sodium, and for the love of all that is holy or otherwise, try to keep away from items that have high fructose corn syrup in it. I know it's in just about everything, but keep an eye out for it, yeah?
    If you want to go into any detail, feel free to drop me a line.

12. Hexagon

Hehe, I don't think corn syrup is much of a problem here.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

13. earthlvr510

From what you said about not wanting to put on muscle wieght I would suggest plenty of cardio. Instead of weights to balance it out try yoga or cycling. Personally im a runner and its a great way to keep lean but not add too much muscle if thats what your going for. My best advice, and what helps me, is to find something active that you love to do. Working out shouldnt feel like a chore, or you will drop your grand ideas of sticking to your workouts before you see many results. For me its running and rock climbing, but for you maybe its swimming, or biking, or long walks, etc. Once you find something you enjoy try to find a group in your area that does the same sort of thing, it will make it even more fun and keep you motivated. Also, keep why your losing weight in mind; surgery! If you can stick to your goals you get to be booby free in a few months. Im trying to lose some weight right now and the only thing that gets me up some mornings is that if I lose some weight my boobs will be smaller and easier to hide :wink:. Also, as a fellow vegetarian, try and stick to things that are as close to the source as possible. For example stick to things like greens, grains, nuts ect. The more ingrediants listed, the more its been processed and the more empty calories your eating. Try to focus on increasing the amount of nutrients your consuming, the more nutrients you eat typically means less calories and less empty calories. Dont forget to treat yourself too, if its all restriction all the time you'll go crazy.

14. Hexagon

Its possible to love exercise?