1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waaah Acrophobia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Orpheus122, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Orpheus122

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can anyone relate with fear of heights?I just hate it and its rulling my life already!Like when i go somewhere really high i feel vertigo,my hands sweat and stuff.I was thinking of going to a psychologist,but i dont want to take medication or something.

2. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They have medication you can take for example if you have a fear of heights but need to go on a plane.

If this is a phobia, more than likely, it will be treated and discussed through counseling. Perhaps there is medicine for it? (like something anti-anxiety related), but you wouldn't have to take it, and you can just discuss with your psychologist about alternative forms of therapy (because there certainly is). Medication for a phobia isn't usually the method psychologists choose for their patients, counseling sessions to overcome phobia is the way it's done.

It might be helpful to go see a psychologist about it early on and see what they have to offer.

3. charmander

A Lot of People Call me "The Phobia Child" Because of my 15 Different phobia's. I Find the best way to make them bearable is what I think is called "Aversion Therapy" Wich Is when you expose you'rself to you're fear gently and try and tough through and gradually over come it bit by bit.

Hope that made sence

4. FemCasanova

One thing I do not recommend, is go bungee jumping, lol. No seriously, I do have a fear of height. Not as bad as yours, I believe, as I get dizzy and have to remove myself, but I don`t get vertigo or sweaty palms. But my friend thought bungee jumping would be a way to shock cure me, and finally talked me into going. I got all strapped up and was ready, but then peeked over the edge and panicked. They pushed me and I blacked out most of the fall, as well as getting myself hooked onto the thing they lowered down to me. When I finally got back up, I had mascara all over my face and shook like a leaf about to throw up. My friend felt so guilty she cried, lol! Needless to say, that`s one thing I am never, never doing again.

Just a funny story now :wink: But yeah, I can relate. To this date I hate walking on stairs that you can see through the cracks of, hate elevators with glass walls, never venture near edges of tall buildings or when out camping near tall cliffs. It`s the only fear I never managed to shake. I did shake my fear of darkness though, by taking long walks with the dog at night-time.

This page has some good information on treating phobias:

Treatment for Phobias

Near the end of this lists some good self-help techniques:

Phobias and Fears: Symptoms, Treatment, and Self-Help

Also you could google Exposure Therapy. It`s about gradually exposing yourself (with guidance from a therapist) to the source of the phobia, a cognitive-behavioral therapy, supposedly very effective.

Exposure therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have that too. It sucks. I am genuinely scared of climbing ladders because I hate those heights.