1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the reason for homophobic violence?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tightrope, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe this has to do with physical and mental health more so than other categories. Sometimes, homophobic violence is perpetrated by one person, and sometimes by several, when a group mentality takes over. Either way, it says something really bizarre to me about the perpetrator or perpetrators. What is the typical psychological view on someone who is violent toward GLBTQ individuals? My only guess is that they are afraid of that component within themselves. Are there any other ideas?

2. LD579

Maybe they were just raised to believe that they should physically act out towards LGBT+ people. Who knows. After all, if they've heard of it but never seen it, and have only heard bad things about it, why would they think otherwise?

For instance, fictitious Bob Doe grew up as a relatively mild and normal child. His loving parents warned him of the moomoos. "Moomoos?" he wondered. "What are those?"

"They're evil creatures, plagues of the human race. They're deviant and prey among the weak and vulnerable."

He met some moomoos when he grew up, and, fearing them, acted out physically. Several of these moomoos are still in hospital today...

And so ends my fictitious story. Who knows what moomoos actually are... I don't even know.

3. Adonis154

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They believe they are the righteous one and the only one who don't sin...

4. chrisV

i think it's mostly religious radicals, and people who have repressed homosexual feelings. they don't want to be gay, so they attack gay people to reassure themselves that they aren't gay.

it's happened with a lot of anti-gay politicians. they have extremely anti-gay policies, and then they turn out to be gay themselves. they're basically just using their political power for personal reassurance.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, this has happened with both political and religious VIPs. There was some political figure from Idaho who was caught messing around in a major airport. Also, there was a California senator who had several daughters, represented a conservative area, and was caught in a bar with some young guy. However, these people aren't so much violent as they are covert.

6. Reptillian

And there is those that likes to be assholes. I mean if you were a sociopath, who'd you pick to bully? One of the likely is marginalized group.

7. justjade

I've noticed that humanity has a tendency to fear what it doesn't understand, and what it fears, it must exterminate.