1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About my weight and height? o.o

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by questionable, Jun 10, 2013.

1. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just wanna know what you guys think about my weight combined with my height.
    I'm 173cm(5"6),75kg(165lbs) and I'm 14 yrs old.....

I also want to get tips on how to reduce wait easily and also for height increasement...
    I am also wondering if this "myth" is true "When you start to lift heavy things/weights, you'll stop gaining height." My height is still the same since I was (maybe 12yrs old) I'm noticing that I'm not gaining height anymore.... Maybe its because I started lifting some a little bit heavy weights...

Sorry for some wrong grammars and inappropriate use of words
    English isn't my mother tongue language ^^

Anyway I wanna hear your opinion guys :grin:

2. Hexagon

If you have fused your bones, I don't think there is anything you can do about it. But you may still grow taller, I don't know for sure. Try lifting low resistance weights for a high number of reps instead. As for your weight, I checked it out on a calculator, and it suggests you should lose weight. Try watching your calorie intake, and get some cardio exercise every day.

3. ScatteredEarth

What about me Hexagon? I'm 5"10 and about 170-175lbs Is that average or what?

4. Hexagon

I only do metric, sorry. And it would depend on your age.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

If you want to know if your height and weight are 'normal', just punch them into a BMI calculator like this one (has both Standard and Metric scales):

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator (for adults)

Healthy Weight: Assessing Your Weight: BMI: Child and Teen Calculator | DNPAO | CDC (for children/teens)

According to this the OP at 14 years old, 173cm, and 75kg, has a BMI of 25.1, which does puts him slightly into the overweight category, so it would be a good idea to lose some weight.

Scattered Earth, 5'10" and 170-175 lbs gives you a BMI range of 24.4 to 25.1, which like the OP means you are on the borderline between normal weight range (18.5-24.9) and slightly overweight (25-29.9).

6. Spurned

Spurned Guest

My BMI is 27.3 and I don't care, I'm not even what you would think of as overweight, I have a little bit of blubber on my hips, on my stomach and on my lower back, making it look a little "disformed", as it were, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Using the child BMI calculator Rakkaus showed us, this is what it said:
    You seem healthy for your height/weight. :grin:

EDIT: I don't know how the "girls aged 14 years 8 months" is measured, but it's wrong ._. I'm 15 and however many months, 10 I think. I can't remember when I last measured myself so I put a random date. Idk.

#6 Spurned, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  7. Ridiculous

It's a myth. It has no effect.
    The misconception comes from people using steroids in bodybuilding, which will stunt growth in adolescents.

8. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I have a BMI in the first percentile..... What does that mean anyway. Does it mean I am in the bottom 1% of weight for my age or something? I already knew I was underweight, no Suprise there, but really, doesn't in the bottom 1% of weight seem a tad..... Too Much? I never thought of myself as having an eating disorder, though I do have days where I don't feel like eating anything. I even do meditation stuff that is supposed to slow your metabolism. :confused: confuzzled.

By the way, you were over half a foot taller than me when you were 12?

#8 Bobbybobby99, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't necessarily dissuade you from weightlifting, but if you're mainly looking to drop weight, it might be better to focus more on fat-burning (aerobic) exercises than weight training.

Lex

10. The username

BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, so it is not the best for determining if you are overweight or not.

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
    Put into your stats and calculate maintenance. The general consensus is for healthy weight loss subtract 250-500 calories from your maintenance. It's the opposite if you want to put on some muscle mass.
    So if you don't want to change the way you eat, you can exercise to burn 250-500 calories per day.

And no, lifting weights won't stunt your growth. You're only 14, so you will definitely grow some more. One of my friends in high school didn't get his growth spurt until like senior year and he went from 5' something to 6' something.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Not necessarily. It depends on when the growth plates in your bones fuse.

Questionable, have you asked your doctor whether your growth plates are fused? Are your parents much taller than you? Genetics will determine how tall you ultimately grow, not whether you lift weights or anything.

12. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm actually taller than my parents including my dad....
    I haven't visited my doctor yet for months... So I don't really know if my bones have already fused. :eusa_doh:

13. chrisV

i'm 15, the same height, but i weigh 128 lbs. but guess it depends on your body type. i think you might be a bit overweight (i was, but i lost 10 lbs), but your height is fine.

14. KingdomKeyDK

I'm 5'7" and 156 and my mother want sme to lose weight because the doctor said I was just a little on the overweight side. Idk what to do that doesn't involve me doing sports.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your nutrition also impacts on your height. If you've been better fed during childhood than your parents were, you'll probably end up taller than them.

My Dad and my brother have the same basic build (large and muscular even as babies, with early pubertal development and facial hair at 14/15) but my Dad's parents alternated between seasonal work and welfare (and tended to get noticeably thinner every winter) while my Dad works as a computer guy and makes a good wage. As a result, my brother is turning out to be several inches taller than my Dad.

The average adult height has been going up since the industrial period, for this reason.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well malnutrition can stunt your growth and make you shorter than your genes intended you to be, sure. Though I think it has to be pretty bad malnutrition, like famine conditions, to have a noticeable effect.

But eating uber-healthy and getting plenty of nutrients won't make you grow any taller that your genes intended to be.

Basically your nutritional intake can only make your shorter, not taller.

It's been a while since high school biology class, but I'm pretty sure there is a genetic basis for determining whether a son will grow taller than his father, depending on what alleles the son inherits from his parents. If the father is short, then the gene for tallness likely came from the mother.

Women are naturally shorter than men even when they have the same gene for tallness. Thus a mother who might not be tall by mens' standards still carries the gene for tallness, and when she passes it along to her male son, he grows taller than either of his parents.

I think genetics are more likely to be the explanation of the height discrepancy between your father and brother.

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, during the winter my Dad would get to the point of eating molasses spread on bread because that's all they had in the house to eat, so I think it's pretty likely he was malnourished.

18. catatonie

It's still likely you'll grow a couple more inches, just given your age. A lot of boys keep growing up to and passed 18, but the best thing you can do is get comfortable with your height, because the chances of you reaching six-feet are very, very low.

Inappropriate weight lifting can cause harm to your body, but I think joint problems and back injuries are more likely than stunted growth. If you think whatever routine you have is too strenuous, or you're feeling any pain, you really need to cut back-- hurting yourself so young fucking sucks. If you're comfortable at the level you're working at though, you don't have much to worry about. Always think about your elbows, knees and back, if you start feeling pain in those places, talk to a doctor about it, because you're going to need them your whole life.

Also I just want to suggest, since you are so young, not to worry about BMI and all that bullshit. Your body is still growing and forming, you should think about better nutrition all the time, but don't "restrict calories" at the risk of upsetting a healthy diet. If you're not eating healthy, that's the best change you can make for yourself now, because the sooner you switch to a better diet that gives you the stuff you need, the easier it'll be to stick with it when you're older, and may actually need to think about gaining/losing weight. Muscle weighs more than fat compared to the mass the two tissues take up in your body, BMI doesn't take that in to account, which is something to keep in mind.

19. Frumpy Pigskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    BMI is a poor measure of health anyway, if you're going to use any standard measure at least go for body fat percentage, which should be around 19% for an adult (too little is just as dangerous as too much).

Firstly, looking at your age (14), you still have around 7-8 years of puberty. Changes in your hormones, behaviour, diet, and exercise will influence your growth rate and your weight. Your height is determined by your genes, assuming you're getting sufficient nutrients (at 165lbs, I'd safely assume you are).

Secondly, there is no fast way to lose weight that is healthy or works in the long-term.
    1. Make a food diary. Log everything you eat for a month (and how much of it).
    2. Count up the calories per day. You should be eating between 1600 and 1800 calories per day, or 1200 at an absolute minimum. Any less and your body will go into starvation response and hold onto the fats you consume.
    3. If you're eating excess, then look at ways of reducing your calories. Try portion controlling: reduce how much of something you eat. You don't necessarily have to stop eating it.
    4. Try swapping one thing for another e.g. a chocolate bar for a granola bar, or better a piece of fruit.
    5. Drink plenty of water.
    6. Add more intensity into your daily routine activities (run-up and down stairs rather than walking, run home from school instead of walking, go swimming 2-3x per week, learn a martial arts, etc)

The taller you get, the more difficult it will be to find clothes that you like that will fit, or be available in the store.