1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masturbation & mood disorders

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by estrella, Jun 10, 2013.

1. estrella

I have mood disorder NOS/bipolar. For the past week I have been really depressed and ill with anxiety--though it started mid-May. I hadn't been having a good time since then, but I noticed that whenever I masturbate I tend to feel a lot better about everything: I become more productive in my work, I can think clearly, and my depression sort of just lifts.

Does anyone else get this?

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somewhat.

Masturbation seems to feel better when things are better, in general. If depressed and anxious, it tends to seem routine, or even slightly compulsive. However, either way, it helps me get to sleep easier if done at night.

3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I'm like that too. Even if it doesn't lift my spirits, it still clears my head enough for me to feel energized and get stuff done, depending on the time of day. If it's late, then it will clear my head and make me more tired, thus helping me sleep.

4. ScatteredEarth

It may sound a bit nastier coming from someone my age, but I do tend to masturbate atleast once a day because of the strenuous day to day activities that go on in a not so quiet household. Could very well be a reason why I'm up all night every night, because other than my nights, I'm never alone to my thoughts.

5. Hexagon

I feel better when I masturbate. I sleep better too. If only I'd discovered masturbation when I was depressed...

6. chrisV

yes, i have had bipolar disorder and depression since i was little. i take anti-depressants, but i still feel depressed sometimes. ever since i was able to masturbate i do so when i'm having a rough day. it makes me feel so much better.

EDIT: also helps a TON with my insomnia. it's like a sleeping pill to me!

7. AKTodd

Orgasm releases endorphins into your system, which can make you feel happier/more content/energized/relaxed. So the reactions described here aren't surprising:slight_smile: