1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binge Eating Disorder

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KazTastic, Jun 11, 2013.

1. KazTastic

Hi,

As long as I can remember, I have always been the "fat kid." I was "gifted" with the body type of my father (tall, fat, stocky) and Binge Eating Disorder. I now weigh 100kg (220lb) more than I'm supposed to for my height. I've also been diagnosed with high blood pressure and fatty liver - not good for a 20-year-old.

My mother was very neurotic and was all into healthy eating (she's short, and skinny like a twig), so I never got the junk food that the other kids got from their parents. It didn't make me any thinner - I guess I was doomed from the start. I gave up when I was about 8 (and we moved to the other side of the country - from Perth to Canberra - for my parents' work), and started sneaking food from the pantry. I remember becoming so desperate for something remotely unhealthy, that I would grab spoonfuls of jam or honey.

When I started receiving an allowance and started taking the bus home from school, I used to buy chips from the takeaway with a friend, and I used to try to hide the evidence. When I started working, my eating binges happened on my breaks.

Mum put me on Jenny Craig when I was 14, it worked, but I got addicted to caffeine, and once I got off the diet, I started binging again. It took 2 weeks to put on half the weight I lost.

Now that I've moved out of home, I've found myself constantly binging and eating unhealthy food. I don't feel comfortable cooking in front of my flatmates, so I end up bringing takeaway to my room and eating it there, I then hide the packaging from them for some reason.

I finally got an appointment with the eating disorder clinic at my local hospital, and they diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. They put me back on antidepressants and said they would get me a psychologist and a dietician. I was asked to start a food diary, which actually helped me eat less when I did it. Unfortunately, after a few days, I forgot to keep going, and I started binging again.

I've tried a number of diets, but they haven't seemed to work, I don't want to resort to surgery until I figure my head out, and I have no idea how to make a habit of writing down what I eat.

Has anyone had any experience with Binge Eating Disorder? Can anyone help me out?

Thank You
    Nodepony