1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should my doctor know im bi?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ChristianHipstr, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ChristianHipstr

I know that there are some health issues that could come with male-male relationships, and with me accepting my sexuality the chances of me being in a same sex relationship are very real... So, I was
    wondering whether or not I should let my doctor know of this now so proper precautions can be taken (if any are even needed, idk), or if I should just wait untill anything does happen and then say something?

2. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I don't think ur doctor needs to know that's ur business and ur family and friends . He's just someone trying to make money by helping in the medical community .

3. Gen

Gen

There actually isn't that much more danger when it comes to same sex or opposite sex relations as long as you are reasonable and responsible.

If you are simply out of the closet and they ask, why not? If you aren't, then there isn't much of a reason to feel obligated too.

4. KaraBulut

This has come up before in other discussions. There's no reason why a healthcare practitioner would need to know about your sexual orientation unless you were having emotional/psychological issues related to coming out, etc.

We care more about what you do, not who you do it with. So, if you're a man having unprotected anal sex with a man, it's no different than woman who is having unprotected anal sex. It's the unsafe sexual act that puts you at risk, not the fact that both parties are of the same gender.

5. biggayguy

The only reason I can think of is if it was something that affected your partner and you wanted to include him on the office visit. That would be purely your choice. You have to follow your own ethical compass.

6. TraceElement

The only reason I told my doctor is beause I was depressed and wanted to be honest with my situation.

7. ChristianHipstr

Ah, ok then :slight_smile: like I said, I didnt know if there was any reason for them to know,

8. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

There is so need for you to tell them as a precaution as long as you are practicing safe sex etc. You don't need to tell them unless it is relevant to why you are seeing them. If they think it may be relevant they will more than likely ask you (I'm a medical student and we have to ask it as part of a sexual health history).

On the other hand, if they do ask you then tell them. They will not judge you/ tell anyone or treat you any differently. Despite any views they may hold they will not discriminate as this would be a professionalism and confidentiality issue.

If you have any more questions then feel free to message me.

9. ChristianHipstr

This clarified a lot, thank you. In hindsight I guess this was kinda a stupid question to ask, but just wanted to know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: thank you for your response

#9 ChristianHipstr, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

It's definitely not a stupid question! I'm glad I could help :slight_smile:

11. Frumpy Pigskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even if they ask you, you don't have to tell them.

If you're ever going for full screening (STI), then be sure to ask for Hep-C too. They usually don't include it, unless they know you're a MSM (male who has sex with males).

12. KaraBulut

Minor correction- it's hepatitis B aka HBV. It's the type of hepatitis that can be sexually transmitted. And we do recommend that gay men be immunized for HBV.

Hep C is associated with blood exposure and it most common in IV drug users and healthcare workers who have been exposed to blood of persons who carry the hepatitis C virus (HCV).

13. Frumpy Pigskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whoops, my silly mistake!

14. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should probably consider HPV vaccines so in the case you decide to 'get down' without any protection, then you won't give each other cancer of the butt. ( ._.) and i'm pretty sure HPV can do that, as it does with cervical cancer... anyone??

#14 Shadowsettler, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  15. Amerigo

only if he's hot & bi too :wink: