1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surgery and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hexagon, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Okay, so I'm getting top surgery in four months. (sorry, I suspect I've said that too many times around here. But I'm so damn happy about that lol).

I've basically just emerged from a period of refusing to drink for no good reason. I haven't had anything to drink in about three years. And I want to start again. However, I'm aware that alcohol before surgery is not a good idea, so does anyone know how long the restriction is? Should I wait until I've healed until I drink?

Yes, I will do so moderately. I've just made some friends at a trans group, and they go out drinking afterwards, and I want to join in.

2. KaraBulut

Before your surgery, you should have the opportunity to talk with either your surgeon or your anesthesiologist. You can ask them at that time about food, fluid and alcohol intake before surgery.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing as long as there's no alcohol in your system when you actually have the surgery, it shouldn't be an issue. I mean, if you want to get drunk a few months before your surgery, I don't see how that would affect the surgery since it'll be gone from your system by then.

Now, you wouldn't want to go to the surgery drunk. It could interact with your anesthetic and get you more sedated than they expect, and that could be fatal.