1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incredibly annoying and I dunno what it is (which is rare for me)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Joey, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Every other month or so, I have incredible bouts of dizziness and disorientation that last for a couple hours. The most recent being Saturday night when I was writing a paper (you could actually tell when it happened because spelling and grammar went right out the window). It sometimes comes in waves and the strongest one on Saturday was so bad that I ended up clutching the desk so as to not fall out of my chair.
    This has happened before to me when I was carrying groceries from my mom's car into the house when I was "hit", so to speak, and I ended up stumbling into my dog (sorry Nuppy, love you) and almost falling into the door jamb.
    As far as I know, I'm perfectly healthy i.e. normal blood pressure, heart rate etc. However when I was younger I was prone to inner/middle ear infections and have had about 8 rounds of corrective surgery on them over the years (the most recent having been a little over a year ago, good story to go along with that one). My thinking is maybe my equilibrium might have been diddled with due to constant prodding and poking over the years... but I would've thought that these incidents would happen more often then they actually do.

Any suggestions?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The obvious suggestion, have you seen your doctor about it? It sounds like something that should be checked, especially with the history of surgery on your ears etc.

3. Joey

Well, since I'm away at school and everything I don't have immediate access to my doctor who's performed all the surgeries on me (which, in this instance would be best seeing as how I've been going to him for years). Even more importantly, I don't have my insurance information on me... so for another 3 weeks I wouldn't be able to.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Since it's only every other month or so it could probably wait until you are back at home, have the insurance info and can see the right doc. It sounds like something that needs checking out but is not urgent.

I'm not a medical expert though. It'll be interesting to see what Karabulut says.

5. Defraction

Erm... I know when I stretch really hard sometimes I go a bit dizzy and need to hold onto something... but I think your theory with the ears may be the problem.

I remember having a really bad ear infection and I was prone to falling over a lot. :grin:

6. KaraBulut

Joey:

There are several things that can affect equilibrium and all of them are things that should be promptly attended to by a physician.

If your university has a student health center, go see them and have them check you out. If they are not able to find something that is readily apparent like an ear or sinus infection, then you should make an appointment with your family doctor for further testing.

7. Joey

My school does have a student health center, however this place is so sketchy and shady that I really don't trust them.

If I do have another... I dunno, "episode" again before I get home, I am definitely getting there.

Thanks all for the advice

8. Gumtree

I can't say that i really know anything about it and the parents aren't home atm to ask, but I do know that your ears have a lot to do with balance.

Sometimes people lose all sense of direction and can become very dizzy, balanced and uncoordinated when there's an imbalance in the ears, sometimes this can be caused just by a change in air pressure (e.g when changing altitude) or something as little as having water stuck in one ear.

I am confident it has something to do with you ears IF there is no problem your blood or arteries/passages.

Hope this has helped :slight_smile: