1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

decided to not to bandage my nail-less toe

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by neverover, Apr 23, 2008.

1. neverover

i got an in grown nails operation two days ago. the doctor put a bandage on it, and she said to change it in the evening. i tried to pull it off, but it hurts like hell! tried rivanol n betadyne n stuff. still hurts. after hours of trying, its finally got off. but i decided to not to use the bandage again, instead i was putting betadyne there every 5 minutes. well, it looks like a zombie toe (red+betadyne), but its ok, right?

2. I would recommend you keep the bandage on for two reasons:
    1. So your toe doesn't get infected
    2. Its more comfortable for you that way.
    Thats just my opinion though, if you find its more comfortable without the bandage then by all means dont keep it on but make sure you disinfect every once and a while.

3. Jim1454

I can't imagine that putting something on it every 5 minutes is a good idea... the body needs time to heal, and that usually means letting the wound heal over / scab and underneath that scab is where the new skin is formed. The scab also would act as a seal to keep infection out. That is what the bandage is for until it scabs over. I'd think you need to keep a bandage on as well. I'm sure it won't be as difficult to remove next time.

4. HalfInsane

Well, what are you bandaging it with? I'd assume it would be gauze bandaging... which tends to stick easily since it's fuzzy. When I had my ingrown toe nail operated on, I used First Aid Non-Stick Pads (well, they were called something like that). They may vary a bit, but basically they've got a somewhat plastic-like cover on either side, and fuzzy gauze in the middle. They're designed for putting over wounds without having bandages stick; you just put it over your nail and wrap the gauze over it. You should be able to find them at a pharmacy.

5. Alexander

wear your bandage and soak your toe every couple hours for 10-15 minutes in warm water with a bit of mild dishsoap or handsoap. It will prevent infection and plus who doesn't love a footbath? :slight_smile: