1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving up alcohol, any advice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I have decided to stop drinking totally and be straight edge since I game up smoking last year and drugs before that.

Has anyone had any experience on avoiding them in the past?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on making that decision. It's never the easiest thing to do, particularly when you have friends who are still drinking/smoking/whatever, because they always seem to want to get you to drink or get high with them.

One of the best things you can do is work on surrounding yourself with sober friends. AA is one place to start, and it's a very welcoming and supportive community. But there are lots of other places to find people who have never had alcohol or drug problems, but just choose to be sober. Finding those people will be the biggest single thing you can do to help you keep your commitment. Reminding yourself of how you're bettering yourself through this choice is another.

3. Beware Of You

I don't really need AA, I only drink socially but I don't want to anymore and AA seem to be too weird and Christian for my liking anyway.

The whole Straight Edge things is from Punk Rock (Its no drugs, smoking or drinking) so I guess just hang out at gigs and the stuff would help I guess.

I do have a reason for kicking the stuff, someone in my family has ruined their life by drinking, I don't want that stuff inside me anymore, I only drank to fit in with people, I don't even like the taste of Beer/Wine etc.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends what you mean by no drink, I know people who drink Bitter Shandy or Lager Shandy, it's virtually like Pop, but it looks like you are drinking a pint of Lager or Bitter, it is very low alcohol as it's mostly Lemonade :slight_smile:

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another group to look for is SMART recovery, if you don't like the religious overtones of AA and twelve step programs. It's based more on building up tools to resist urges that you use on your own, and lifestyle balance. It's a good online resource, and unlike AA, they don't urge you on to an endless lifetime of meetings, or use labels like 'alcoholic' or view you as 'diseased' or 'powerless'. I agree that AA is a bit cult-like and weird; it's been nice to see more alternatives emerging, as I don't think it suits the needs of many people, though it is of help to others.

Funny you mention straight edge...I just heard a radio show a while back about early straight edge bands from the DC area, like Minor Threat :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a strong genetic/heritable characteristic for addictions, particularly alcohol, so you are really smart to make this decision now.

I wasn't suggesting AA because you need it, but as a way to find others who are living a sober lifestyle. I know that in the US, there are gay AA groups, and also quite a few that are not religiously based. AA itself is clear that it is not a Christian or religious organization, and there are many that have made AA a part of their life who do not have spiritual beliefs in the traditional sense. But if it doesn't work for you... there are plenty of other ways to find sober people. :slight_smile:

7. justjade

I did learn in one of my classes that if you fast for a week, your body loses its cellular memory of addiction. I don't recommend it though.

However, I have to give you props for making this decision. It won't be easy, but every time you say no to a drink, it gets easier. Finding things to do other than drink to occupy your time helps, too. I notice that when I'm really busy, I don't smoke as much. I don't find accountability partners to be very good though. They're tricky to pick, and they can frustrate you more than anything. It's been hard for me to quit smoking because anyone I want help from is all preachy about it.