1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How safe are OTC testosterone supplements?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by justjade, Jun 17, 2013.

1. justjade

I've been looking up information on this for a while, but nothing seems really definitive. It seems like every website has a different view on them.

I'm biologically female, and I've toyed with the idea of taking them to build muscle, increase my sex drive, and hopefully be more motivated. I know they're not a surefire cure for being depressed or having sever PMS, but I'm curious. For the record, I'm not really afraid of growing facial hair, having a deeper voice, getting acne, or anything like that. I'm a little afraid they'll backfire. I am of child-bearing age, but I don't really want to have kids. I think they would make me feel better, but I have some doubts. I'm afraid I might be digging my own grave just asking about them.

Has anyone else ever taken them? If so, what was your experience with them? I'll probably ask about them next time I go to the doctor, but that's quite a ways off.

2. Stray

For males, it's not as big a deal in how it affects our bodies (increases muscle growth, can increase aggression, shrinks balls temporarily, can cause breast tissue growth, etc.). With biological females however, it can have serious adverse side-effects. Most notably, would be the risk of sterility (although acne, increased body hair, cranial baldness, and a deepened voice can be side-effects as well).

In doctor-prescribed small doses, testosterone can treat depression; although once you stop taking it, you can re-develop the depression (or develop it even if you didn't previously have it).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by OTC testosterone though. All testosterone-containing compounds qualify as androgenic anabolic steroids which are controlled substances under federal law (even though you can order them from websites). Are you talking about supplements that would stimulate the bodies natural production of testosterone? (like Saw Palmetto in males, not sure in females).

Regardless, you should definitely consult your doctor before taking any form of

3. justjade

Oh! Sorry for not clarifying. Yes, I do mean the ones that are supposed to naturally stimulate testosterone production. Those are considered the safest from what I've read. I'm actually currently on anti-depressants, though, so I guess that means I probably shouldn't take them. But yes, I will talk to my doctor. Thanks. :slight_smile: