1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AKTodd, Jun 19, 2013.

1. AKTodd

Does anyone else experience this?

ASMR, the Good Feeling No One Can Explain | VICE United States

I've been having this happen since I was a little kid. Certain passages of text (usually describing something complex happening), or watching (or even just hearing) someone do something involved like service a copier or repair a clock or change out the lighting fixtures at work can loop me out for minutes at a time. I just get this very nice tingling in my head and neck and become very relaxed. Rubbing the back of my neck or around my ears seems to increase/prolong the experience.

Never knew what this was and then a day or so ago it finally occurred to me to do some googling on it. EC is big enough I figure there must be some more of us on here.

Anyone?

Todd:slight_smile:

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Yeah there is tons of videos on YouTube for this. I don't get a tingling sensation but it makes me incredibly relaxed and I fall asleep really fast.

3. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Oh my gosh!! THIS IS REAL!? I've had this since as far as I remember!!!

Sometimes in Geometry when i was a freshman, after i finished my homework, i would literally spend half an hour touching my ear with the eraser of a pencil and it felt so amazingly awesome :grin: Kind of like an orgasm... but not really, because that would be super awkward

Small things like that just really get me, I love it.. when ive tried to tell people about it, they are like "I dont see the appeal" and its whatever : P

I remember when I watched Toy Story 2... the scene where woody is gainted repainted... if I listen to that quietly so that I can just barely hear the light music and the sound of his paint brush and tools that he is using - That's when i first realized i had this.. but I didn't know there was a name for this.

Watching people put make up on, or putting make up on myself does this very well for me. It can also help me sleep, which is good because im a chronic insomniac! Its actually how I found Michelle Phan, and several favorite musical artists because of her music interests in her videos xD!

I've always wondered what these sensations I feel are called, and now I have a name!! Would have NEVER expected to find it here!! Im with ya :grin:

Thanks for bringing this up Todd!! Im having such an epiphany right now haha

The moment you started talking about clock work and what not I thought Toy Story 2, things like that just.. I can't even describe it...

This is so weird, its like that thing you've always thought about as just being weird, or just a "me" thing and its real and affects other people...

Sometimes I really freak out when people touch my head because it gives me that feeling, so I really just say I dont like people touching my head, but its just a cover because I get all tingly :3 especially my ears.. My ears move when I play my Flute, and I can sometimes get that feeling just from feeling them move!

#3 PrinceOfAvalon, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. Hexagon

I have never felt anything like this. I feel like I'm missing out somehow. I also don't really understand. From what I've read, it seems to be triggered by attention from others? Is this the case or am I misinterpreting?

5. AKTodd

People who don't experience it not understanding it is apparently the norm:slight_smile:

It's not really triggered by attention from others (for most people anyway), but rather by paying attention TO others, or to particular things or to people doing particular things.

For example, when one of the copiers at my job (and in my work area) gets a problem a service guy will come out to fix it. As part of fixing it, he will often take it apart, clean or adjust certain components, maybe replace others, etc. Lots of parts arranged around, adjustments being made, etc. All I want to do is watch him do this. Doing so both makes me very relaxed (almost in a light trance maybe) and also causes this gentle tingling sensation in my head/along my scalp, mostly toward the back and a bit down my neck. It really feels quite nice.

Now, given that it's work, I can't really just sit and zone out for however long it takes the copier guy to fix the machine, not to mention that staring at people tends to make them uncomfortable (And no, it's not a matter of the guy being a guy or being good looking or anything like that. This isn't a sexual thing - arousal or lust or whatnot isn't a factor here). So most of the time I either have to just look in passing as I do my job or listen to the work being done. Or just know its going on nearby. Even hearing it or knowing can induce the effect, although to a reduced degree.

I've also has this happen from hearing my partner in the other room working on repairing a clock with lots of little parts, and watching guys working on the vents or laying cables in the ceiling at work (OK, for those there may sometimes be a bit of an eye candy element - some of those workmen are kinda hot :grin:). Also, reading certain passages in a book, such as a description of a character giving a massage (regular or shiatsu or reiki) can do it.

Other people seem to be 'triggered' by sounds (low conversations, descriptions of complex procedures, typing) or watching something being drawn or painted. Or a combination of these things.

I've just learned about the You Tube channels for this and am still trying to find something that really triggers it in me. So far the strongest reaction has been a video of someone giving a massage and describing what they were doing in detail in a soft voice. Watched it a couple days ago and slept like a log right afterward (and I've been having issues with waking up as much as an hour before my alarm lately - insomnia attacks before that). So really interested in looking into this more, both from a 'feel good' perspective but also because of the sleep issue.

Hope this helps,

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2013 at 11:34 PM ----------

Heh. Yup, apparently it's real :grin:. I always thought it was just me and didn't know how to describe it. Then the other night I just had the thought to google it and phrase it about some things making my head tingle and all this stuff came up.

When I'm experiencing this I tend to run my fingers around my ears or though my hair. It seems to intensify the feeling or something. I never really thought of it as orgasmic, although apparently that's a common comparison. Also, the whole 'I don't get it' thing for people who don't feel it is also really common. Things that will trigger us, they mostly just find incredibly boring.

I've not seen the movie, but now I may need to. What you describe sounds like the kind of thing that could trigger me. And I totally get you on the sleep thing. I've gone 24hrs at a time with no sleep. Bleh. The latest has been waking up about an hour or so before my alarm. But even just the bit of exploring on YouTube I did the other night seemed to help. I haven't had to drink a Coke at work to fight the sleepiness for two days in a row now (woo-hoo!). Hoping I can find some YouTubes that I can watch before bed on a regular basis to help me sleep (or make me sleep if I'm having an attack).

I totally understand :thumbsup: Apparently it's only recently that this has been acknowledged as real and its just starting to be studied. No one knows why it happens yet.

Hmm. If you get the opportunity you might look into getting a scalp or ear massage some time. Or ask your boyfriend to give you one. Massages are great just on general principles and if it can trigger this added element for you could be even more fun.

Woo-Hoo, We're special! (!)

Todd

6. Kamina

Well I just tried it listening to the video and its so weird! Its just tingly down the back of your neck, itfeels really nice, I never knew I had this! Well I had experience with it when I was younger but now I know what it is!

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get a tingling sensation, but it's unpleasant and makes me tense up.

8. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    The sensation is very unpleasant for me, like an annoying tickle or itch right at the base of my skull. I had to stop watching, but it's sort of stuck there. I've gotten this before, why do you guys like it so much?

9. AKTodd

Interesting. I'd read that a percentage of those with ASMR find it unpleasant, although based on the responses so far, EC seems to be above avg on this.

I find the tingling both pleasant and relaxing. I suspect the 'why' of it is in the same category as why I might like a particular food while others don't like it. Presumably our brains are each wired a little differently.

10. Gibson85

I've had feelings of pleasure tingling as some times unpleasent ones. I dont know if that means ive experience this or not. Ty for posting this