1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating disorder

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by merlin, Jun 21, 2013.

1. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi EC comrades,

Let's see if this thread gives some feedback. I have been diagnosed with Anorexia (see some of my previous posts) and was wondering if there are others out there who suffer from the same problem and if and how they are dealing with it, especially being queer?

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have it off and on. I'll go a month only eating under 300 calories a day and then I'll break and binge for weeks. I keep swaying between 138 and 122 lbs. I haven't been 'diagnosed' yet but I've not told anyone the extent of it. My parents know but they don't really 'know', if that makes any sense.

I have pretty terrible body image issues and they just compound on my gender dysphoria.

3. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know I have it in me to be anorexic. I stopped weighing myself last year. I got really upset and depressed about my weight and I knew that I could easily go that direction.

4. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Fugs,

thank you for your reply and less than 300 cal per day is something I haven't managed yet ;-) I'm usually at 1200 cal or less a day but for a male of my age (53) that is apparently rather low as my GP keeps saying to me. I developed a b12 deficiency and anemia so it does seem to take its physical toll. I want to work on this as I know in the end it won't help me setting up a new life, but it is hard to let the control go. I hope you'll find (professional) help to guide you towards a balance. Some of these battles we can't find on our own.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2013 at 06:33 AM ----------

Hi Phoenixverde,

Thank you for your reply. It is good you were able to identify the potential for being obsessed with your weight. I know how tricky it is to give in to these urges as I keep track of my weight every day, as well as all my activities and calorie intake. These days electronic devices and apps make it all too easy to maskerade an unhealthy lifestyle as a fitness crave. Stay on your current path and away from scales ;-) You can do it!