1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lily, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey guys!
    Well I thought I would start asking around to see what information I can get. (As well as looking things up on the internet)

See my 20th b-day is coming up and I'm considering getting a tattoo. Its something I wanna do and also...it would be the most rebellious thing I have ever done (which well I'm to old for rebellion...but still I think it would be fun!)

So I'm wondering if you guys have any tips? Or any information I should know? See I don't know much about it besides the stuff I have looked up before. But I figure at least a few of you on here have actually done it. So I thought you might have some sort of advice.

Thanks, Lily

2. Vampyrecat

One thing I would definitely recommend is to make sure you pick something you'll be happy with and not embarrassed by when you're older.
    My mum waited until she was forty to get a tattoo and she got an iris (a purple flower) on her hip.

If/when you get a tattoo, make SURE that you go to a place where they use sterilized equipment. It is perfectly within your rights to ask to see the equipment and make sure it's freshly sterilized.

I hope this helps. :grin:
    Tess.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Vampyrecat said... think long and hard about how you'll feel having whatever image you pick on you for the rest of your life. Project yourself into the future and imagine explaining it to your potential children and grandchildren.

Of course, tatoos can be removed but that's pretty costly and if I remember correctly, somewhat painful.

Extending the advice so far, find a reputable tatoo parlour by checking online and asking around. You do NOT want to go bargain-basement on something like a tatoo.

4. total mo

total mo Guest

the best advice I can give is to get something you wont be embarrased of in the future, and definitely no boy's or in your case, girl's name. also, make sure you take home the needle or have your artist dispose it properly.

5. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Or get a name tatoo'd, but that means you can only date people with that name haha

6. total mo

total mo Guest

I never said get a name tattoo.

7. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

right over your head aye....

8. total mo

total mo Guest

yea, very ineteresting

9. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree no names!
    What I am getting I have thought about for a long, long time. It five words...
    Love
    Strength
    Courage
    Hope
    Family

maybe with some stars or butterflies around it. I'm definetly checking into it. Like the healing times and the tattooist. I will definetly check on the needles! Can you guys recommend any certian color that will age well?

10. Vampyrecat

Depends on where you get it on your body. If you get it on a place where the colours will be exposed a lot to the sunlight and wind etc (like arms, shoulders, ankles, leg), it's probably a good idea to get a blue or black.
    If it's somewhere people won't see unless you show them (hip, stomach, breast or buttocks) you could go with other colours because they won't be exposed to the elements. My mum has a purple flower on her hip and it hasn't lost any colour at all since she had it done four years ago.
    Ask the Tattooist to show you the colours and ask him or her which ones are the best. It all comes down to your choices. And it sounds like a very nice tattoo to get. :slight_smile:

11. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't know that! Thank you! I might just go for Pink now!...Though I still like purple!
    And I like it too! Thanks!

12. Extreme26

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You really need to think about it. Get a design in your head and take it to the tattoo shop. They may work on it a bit to improve it but you must be certain you are happy with it. Also be prepared to pay a lot of money if you want a good job done.

13. Gumtree

I suggest something small and not... pronounced.

A pattern around the bicep or a symbol on the tailbone can be really hot but covering yourself in animals and names etc you will end up regretting.

14. Where are you getting it? ~megan~

15. total mo

total mo Guest

I didnt know colored tatts would lose their color. I'm glad both mine aren't exposed to the sun.

But if it happens, do you have to get it redone, and pay for it again? Doesn't it have warranty?

16. TeeBe

Something that people tend to take forgranted is that tattoo artists can DRAW. There are plently of very successful tattoo artists who simply can't. What you see in their shop or on their website is only a showcase of their BEST work (Or in some cases, someone else's work...).

Make sure you check out the artists ENTIRE portfolio, not just what they have on display. Everyone fubs some times, but how bad are the "fubs"? Conversely, everyone can get lucky some times. If you do tattoos long enough there are bound to be some good ones to photograph.

A good way to check is is looking at the original drawing of the tattoo (ie. what the paton actually wanted) and seeing how closely the final tattoo resembles it.

Whatever you do, don't assume all tattoo artists can draw!

17. Kat22

Make sure that you trust whoever is doing your tattoo, and that he or she is reputable.

When I got my tattoo done, I had the guy redraw it 7 times before I actually got it. He did it every time without complaining or getting upset. He and I talked about how this is going to be on my body for the rest of my life, so it needs to be perfect. He also repositioned the stencil 4 times. Don't be afraid to speak up if it is something you won't like!
    I had a friend who had a tattoo artist that positioned the tattoo on her body, she said she didn't like it like that and he told her that not to worry, he would turn it the way she wanted it. He didn't and now she is stuck with an upsidedown symbol on her ankle. Make sure they listen to you too!!!

18. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey!
    Alright...so I deleted the word family from my tattoo. It just didn't work...after I myself have drawn it about fifty times. What I want is very plain and simple. I'm going to work with the guy doing it and hope that we can come to an agreement or I may wait. But I know I want it on my lower hip area. So it won't be seen easily...that and it won't fade as easy either!

But I think it will turn out pretty good! I will try and post pictures when its done! (that is if you guys want to see it!)

19. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Things turned out great!

20. sayitforreals