1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar disorder :(

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayTeen, Jun 24, 2013.

1. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I am 99% sure that I have bipolar disorder. Gosh, it's horrible! Right now, I'm in the middle of a crushing depression at my dad's house. It's getting pretty bad. I go through erratic and ever-changing periods of mania and depression. I never know how long it will last.

I need help!

Does anyone else go through this? Am I alone?

How can I bring this up with my parents? I always fear that they will just dismiss it as something that will go away.
    :help:

2. BudderMC

Self-diagnosis is largely inaccurate and only serves to make you feel more worried. That's just human nature (biases). If you're actually concerned there's something legitimately wrong with you, go see a psychologist of some sort.

Explain to your parents how/what you're feeling. If they try and dismiss it, explain to them the severity of what you're feeling and that it HAS NOT been going away like you hoped it would, and you want to go get checked out to make sure you're okay in case it escalates into something worse if left unattended.

3. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, fortunately this depression episode only lasted a few hours. I'm feeling much better now. Of course, I can only expect to have another depression period in the next couple of days...

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mood swings could just be hormonal you know. Cycling bipolar episodes last weeks while Bipolar 1/2 episodes last months.

For example, I have some form of bipolar disorder. I've been in a pretty terrible depression for a very very long time. But intermittently I've also had times that have lasted a few weeks where I'd be very energetic and active while ignoring all of my fears and reasoning with the inability to sleep with no apparent cause.

As said above ask your doctor, it's a good idea to make sure. This is an illness that I can't even come to terms with. Having to take this horrid medication for the rest of my life...

5. diseased icon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know just how you feel. The only difference is, I'm depressive bipolar, and so im just always down down down. I'm scared to tell my mom, because I don't want her to think ill turn out like her...(shes bipolar too.)

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

I was diagnosed by a neuropsychologist guy person thing btw. lol

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean a psychiatrist? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Amerigo

certainly not alone, it can happen to anyone. (*hug*)

the hardest thing i found (btw i'm not bipolar) was raising my issues with my parents, well, actually they came to me since i'd been a wretched mess after so many years. i've tried talking with them, even writing, i'll say confessing my deepest concerns to my parents was difficult (and even then i was never 100% honest with them, i can't be), but definitely worth it (even if they occasionally throw it back at my face).

please! speak to your GP!

8. Mitchell

Get a full psychological evaluation... then get treatment.

If you want to talk in private, send me a PM.

My Axis I diagnoses are both schizoaffective disorder and bipolar disorder.

Many, many treatment options out there. I can help you find a way to word it to your parents in a calm way.

If you're experiencing mania, you really need to see a doctor. The crashes suck.

Your doctor may very well do a full psychological evaluation, and he/she can most likely give you medications. If those don't work, there are a few other options.

I'm on high doses of Clozaril, as that's all that I respond to appropriately.

There are tons of medications out there. Work with a doctor and find what you need to feel mentally healthy.

The doctor will ask you specific questions and judge how you are at the moment, which should help with the evaluation.

Are you open to trying medications?

9. chrisV

i feel you man, i've had it since i was 7. i REALLY suggest going to therapy. i know it sounds like an embarrassing idea, but it will help a TON. if that doesn't help much, there is medication for bipolar disorder (i'm on it, and my life has improved so so so much).

i know you probably won't like the idea of therapy, but please please please do it. i promise you, it can change your life. (*hug*)

10. Mitchell

Therapy can be fun if you find the right therapist.

Many are hard to work with, and hard to connect with. They expect you to spill everything about your life to them, without nothing in return.

I've found the right therapist... She will just have talks with me, and share experiences she has had that she can relate to me with.

That helps me a ton... I can't just sit in a chair or n the couch in an office and just tell them everything, and be comfortable about it, unless they can make a conversation out of it. A real one, not just asking how it all made me feel.

Medication isn't a big deal. I'm going back on mine again. I am sleeping 16 to 18 hours after I fall asleep, and my sleep cycle is messed up... but at least I'm feeling somewhat good mentally / emotionally.

Call your primary care doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist and see if he/she will treat you and give you medication.

I hope this helps.

11. BudderMC

All of the bipolar variants have a large hereditary component to them, AFAIK. While I understand your fear of telling your mom, it's probably best you do tell her, especially if you're living with her. Since she's bipolar she can probably relate to your struggles and it'll make living at home a lot easier for both of you in the long run.

12. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because we have moments like these dosnt mean you're bipolar, many people that are deny it.you should see your doctor , or a counselor at school.if it turns out you are there are many treatments available to help you ,and you can lead a normal life .My best guest is that you are not .just do your best not to sweet the small stuff . Good luck my friend

13. TraceElement

You are 15...it could just be hormones kicking in. If you are concerned though, go see your doctor.

14. FemCasanova

Bipolar Disorder is a tricky one to diagnose, even by a professional, so doing it yourself is not a very good idea. I am not dismissing your thoughts here though, if you feel that you have the symptoms fitting with one of the degrees of Bipolar Disorder, you ought to talk with your parents about it. Actually, if you feel depressed, Bipolar or not, you ought to talk to your parents about it. You can bring up the symptoms, without mentioning the disorder you`re suspecting. Let them know that you feel depressed, tell them about your symptoms, and that you feel you need to talk to someone who can help you, like a therapist or a counselor. Just be honest with them about how you feel (*hug*) And should they not take it seriously regardless, then talk to a school counselor, or your local doctor. Someone who might be able to refer you to someone who can help you figure things out.

But trust me, you are not alone (*hug*) Whether it is Bipolar Disorder or not, you still need someone to talk to, and your feelings are worth talking about. Don`t get discouraged if your parents at first seem to not understand. It will be okay.

15. 1umbrella1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    (*hug*)I've been depressed and got hypomanic on my antidepressants, so I kind of understand where you're coming from. I just recommend going to a psychologist and getting an evaluation to see if you have depression or bipolar disorder or just are affected by a negative environment. Sure, it could be the hormones, but don't dismiss it.(*hug*)

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Practically everyone 15 years old is going to have mood swings, and pretty dramatic mood swings at that. It goes with adolescence and the biochemical and physiological changes that go with it. So, absent any other symptoms, it's unlikely you're bipolar.

Additionally, people are horribly overmedicated in this country (and, increasingly, in other countries as well.) A large part of that is our broken managed care system which would rather give you a pill and send you on your way than figure out what's really wrong. Another part of that is the incessant, incredibly invasive direct-to-consumer advertising of prescriptions drugs, which is prohibited or severely limited in nearly every other country in the world... which creates a demand for, and an expectation, that any time you go to the doctor, you should come away with a prescription, because there's a drug to solve every problem, no matter how small.

If the mood swings are frequent and severe, then it makes sense to talk to your school guidance counselor or social worker about it and ask them to help you determine if you need to see a therapist. I always recommend starting with a therapist (psychologist or social worker, rather than psychiatrist) because... therapists do therapy, while psychiatrists primarily prescribe drugs, and when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

But more than likely, what you're experiencing is typical ups and downs that nearly every teenager has, and the best solution is to just realize it's normal and that it will pass.