1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CrossFit

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by phoenixverde, Jun 27, 2013.

1. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am looking at joining a crossfit in my city. I am going to call one of the owners tomorrow and the guy said that I can do 3 days of free.

I am not in shape, but very eager to workout. They said that they work with anyone at any stage of fitness. They website makes them seem like a more of a community than just a gym.

Anyway, does anyone have some wisdom to pass on about Crossfit?

2. ioden

I've been doing crossfit for 2 months or so.

Crossfit is sold as something anyone can do, which is true. But that also requires that your trainer is capable enough to test your physical ability so s/he sets the intensity of the workout in the most fitting way as possible. That means that if you were sedentary, you won't start lifting the official weights, doing the official reps or things like that.

The trainer should also be able to explain quite well movements and constantly check your progress. You won't start off doing the movements well, and your trainer has to be constantly correcting them. Always listen to what your trainer says, unless you know better for sure. Trainers should have general knowledge of health and nutrition, so they can help you with any doubt you have, or tell you to go to a professional.

Crossfit is very competitive. Every excercise is timed and speed in repetitions is quite valued. That can be stressful for some. The best way to approach is to improve yourself and never compare your performance with others'. Trying to be the best of all the community will make you work your body more than you're capable of, and you'll get injured. Focus on improving yourself.

Crossfit is not that much about being strong, fast or resistant. It's more about being flexible, to develop the best use of your body. It's about developing skill, so later strength, speed and resistance are developed.

Crossfit won't make you particularly good on a certain skill. It'll make you an all-rounder. If you want to have an excellent speed at running, consider yourself doing athletism. Crossfit will make you fast, yet not as fast as a professional runner. The same goes with body-building. You will be toned, yet not as as toned as a body-builder. That's because every daily workout is different and several parts of your body will be worked on. Crossfit works on three areas: gymnastics, weightlifting and cardiovascular excercise.

Crossfit won't make you fit if you don't eat right, according to your own metabolism. But, if you do, you'll see results. You may need to eat more.

Regarding the community aspect of gyms, it's very true. It's very easy to make friends, since crossfit promotes helping each other to achieve their goals. Trainers will encourage you to finish your goal, but if you don't do it it's fine. They won't bash you or shame you. They will congratulate you and expect you to do it better. People usually see you as an equal, as someone who is trying something new to be fit. Just be careful to avoid the "crossfit elitism", some people think crossfit is superior to other sports and so they develop elitist attitudes.

That's all I know, hope it helped :slight_smile:

3. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow. That is a lot of very useful information. I see some people who act like crossfit is the end all be all.

I am not sedentary, but I am not in shape either. I lift kids and groceries, but that is about it. I used to life weights when I was in high school, but stopped. I am really looking forward to trying it out. I liked how simple the gym looked. No machines, just me, my body, and a workout.

It is going to be tough, but I like challenging myself.