1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting on weight?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Holly, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Holly

This is going to sound really stupid for a lot of people, but I really want to put on weight. I'm currently 7 and a half stone, and I just feel too slim. Like, it's not grotesque. I just wish I had a bit more to me, if you get what I mean? Mostly in my arms, they're rather thin..

I hardly do any exercise, and I have a high metabolism, so I rarely put on weight. Does anyone have any tips for doing so?

2. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Hi Holly

Have you discussed this with your doctor ?
    I know there are many weight gain supplements available which may help you but if this is causing you to feel anxious and upset then maybe your doctor can help ?
    Even do some tests ?

3. Ridiculous

You're 16 so you will still be growing for the next 3 years or so, so chances are you'll put it on naturally without any effort. I'd advise against doing anything too major until you're a bit older for this reason.

However for putting on weight, we have two options: gaining fat or gaining muscle.

If you want to gain some fat, then you have to consume more energy (i.e. eat more) than you are using during the day. The excess will be stored as fat.

If you want to gain some muscle, you need to do weight-bearing resistance exercise targeting the muscles you want to build.