1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Starling, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone else on here suffers from sleep paralysis? I've been suffering from it for about a year and would really like to know if anyone has found ways to lessen the occurences or stop them altogether?

2. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have suffered from sleep paralysis. It was the worst in my childhood, but it happened to me again about 3 years ago. It usually happened to me during times of extreme distress. There have only been a handful of incidents like this in my life but they are very frightening and scarring. The biggest thing for me is not sleeping on my back believe it or not. Whenever I wake up from these experiences I am sleeping on my back. When I sleep on my side and don't roll over in my sleep I am fine.

Coping with stress is also important. I find working out helps me with that a lot. Also watch what you eat and drink before bedtime. Alcohol can screw up your sleep.

3. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well considering I live in a constant state of worry I'm not all that surprised its been occuring almost nightly.

4. livinglifefree

My ex had sleep paralysis and she found it helpful if someone woke her up before it got to far. Other than that, she hasn't found a way to lessen the occurrences either.

5. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was suffering from sleep paralysis, it kind of came out of nowhere, a few years ago. Lasted for about 3 months, had it a few times a week. I don't get sleep paralysis anymore.. i get really paranoid about it, and those 100 or so instances I've experienced it, I kind of figured out some things that increase the likelihood of it occurring again.

I avoid sleeping on my back, I sleep with my body either to the left or right side. In all my cases of sleep paralysis thus far, I'm facing the ceiling (sleeping on my back).

I go to sleep when I'm tired/exhausted.. if I'm not tired and spend a long time with my eyes open, and trying to fall asleep.. and I end up falling asleep somehow, I'll get sleep paralysis. Or trying to go to sleep when I'm stressed will cause this as well. For me, I've found that if I'm not exhausted enough to fall asleep, it will increase the likelihood of me experiencing it. I usually just masturbate before I go to bed to ensure I'm exhausted enough.

Hopefully that helps?

6. Amerigo

everyone experiences it at least once in their life. it's only ever happened at random intervals in my life, mostly from age 15/16 onwards.