1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you supposed to feel your gender?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by nepeta, Jul 15, 2013.

1. nepeta

I never really gave a thought about gender; i was a girl and i always just accepted it. But when i think about gender, it just seems nonexistant in my brain. is it supposed to feel like you are a girl? i don't feel unconfortable in my body or anything, i just think i would be satisfied if i was a boy as well as a girl. so basically, are you supposed to feel it?

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I don't think so... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a person by person thing, you know?

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know why but I think my mind just blew up.

4. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There're a lot of gender terms, some meaning you feel like any gender all at once, like no gender, like one gender than another, like a non-male non-female gender. The Transgender umbrella is pretty big. From what you've said, you could be bigender, pangender, or something I haven't heard of.

You can feel your gender, or you can not, it varies. Some people think that their gender defines them, some think their gender is just a part of themselves, and some people don't pay it any mind at all. Gender, as decided by society, is just a way to bundle a few of someone traits into a label, so no, you don't need to feel your gender.

Sorry if some of this seems a bit ambivalent.

5. lowkey

lowkey Guest

How about just saying you have some feminine parts to you and or manly parts and that makes you a well balanced person

6. CircusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm gonna use a metaphor a friend told me once:

when you use a computer, you run programs, right? But most of the time, when you run a program, you don't actually SEE anything happening. When your computer saves a file, or opens a word document, or opens the internet, you don't see all the code that gets run. Except sometimes you do. Sometimes, instead of doing what you told it to do, your computer gives you an error message and a whole lot of computer language that you don't understand (unless you know a lot about computers.) See, we only SEE the code for a program when something is WRONG. Otherwise, it's like the code isn't even there.

Gender is kind of the same way. Mostly, it just runs in the background, and it only really ever "shows up" in us when something's gone wrong. I usually can't "feel" my gender either. But I can when I notice how wide my hips are. Or when I realize how soft my face is. If you can't "feel" your gender, that's probably a good thing, because it means either your gender matches your body, or your brain is wired so that it'll work just fine under any gender or sex.

So maybe you would be just as satisfied as a boy. Maybe you would suddenly start getting those gender- error messages. Either way, everything's working fine as it is, and you've got nothing to worry about.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like this metaphor. I think I might need to use it in the future. :grin:

8. srslywtf

I guess it depends on definitions..

I feel like a guy who is supposed to own the genitals he has.. then on the other hand, I really wish I didnt have body hair, I'm envious of women in that regard.

But I dont feel like a "man" by the popular definition, or by the way I act. I'm pretty girly.

9. Naren

This ^

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

:0 Brilliant. I'm going to use this, if you don't mind. Because that's the best fucking way I've ever seen anyone describe it.

11. Sr Francium

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really think so, when I think of myself I don't really think male, I think my name. But, I could be wrong

12. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed with the others. This is an awesome way to put it. I'm stealing it :badgrin: if you don't mind that is

13. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feel physicially or mentally?

If I physically feel my gender I am an in betweenie of male/female due to hormones. However, mentally I have came to terms as I am female and identify as such.