1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lesbian Identity 'Trigger' Seems Silly...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sigillumdiaboli, Jul 23, 2013.

1. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It seems that normally most girls discover they are lesbian early in their teenage years when they start to become attracted to their female peers. But for me I've always thought I was a heterosexual female up until a few months ago when I saw this photo in a magazine of a semi-famous Australian comedian, and I started to feel an attraction unlike anything else. It even felt stronger than past attractions to males (who were generally only celebrities anyways). Since that time I've found myself checking out, and being turned on by female bodies and whatnot.

I've now identified as lesbian, and been throwing myself into the LGBT scene with great enthusiasm (making new lesbian & bisexual friends along the way). But every time someone asks me how I new, I feel embarrassed that my 'trigger' was essentially a photo....

Should I be embarrassed about this - or does it really matter how someone discovers themselves?

2. srslywtf

Took me till I was 25... 26 to be certain..

I'm slowly figuring out why it took me so long - looking back it's ridiculously obvious right from the beginning, but there are heaps of things that played into me not realising/recognising.
    But yeah, it's difficult to explain to the people that just knew straight away...

3. BudderMC

I don't think it matters much. Or rather, I think anyone who's going to place that much emphasis on "how you knew you were gay" and not "oh, you're gay? Let's be friends!" isn't worth being friends with.

For what it's worth, even though I probably figured it out when I was a kid, it would've been from some cartoon (can't remember which) about some anthropomorphic dragon who took off his clothes (well, shirt - cartoon characters didn't ever need pants). Not like there was any body detail or anything since it was a cartoon, but that's the first discernable memory I have about something "gay".

If they think your reason is silly, I'm pretty sure mine is worse. :lol:

4. Hexagon

Interesting. I also was triggered by an attraction to a semi-famous australian comedian. This one was male though. And I don't think he was my original trigger.

Don't feel ashamed. Hot people are hot. Thats all you need to know.

5. evora

My 'trigger' was Sue Perkins.:icon_redf :lol:

6. fluffyhandcuff

There's nothing to feel embarrassed about! For a lot of people it's a celebrity. Just because you weren't a teenager when you figured out, that doesn't mean that you need to feel ashamed for it.

7. FloatingPiano

Hey, I was attracted to Miley Cyrus when I was a like 12 during the Hannah Montana years lol; that was one of my triggers.

I think it is very common to start noticing an attraction to a celebrity.

8. Amerigo

as a child, i was in awe of johnny bravo :}

9. NouvelleVague

To be honest, when I was younger, I think while most of my friends were all over One Tree Hill relationships and all, I was more into Willow's relationship x_x Always felt attracted to her, and to this kind of relationship than others... So, yeah, when I look back, it makes sense to what I'm feeling these days...

10. random1234

random1234 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think my trigger was Britney Spears lol I used to think she was the most beautiful woman. I had to be about 7, I would want to sit on her lap. That's how my child crushes were, me wanting to sit on a woman's lap! lol I don't think yours is silly or anyone else's. We all have that hot person that made us realize we liked what we like.

11. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar in my younger days... Actually 'loved' is an understatement, it was more like 'obsessed'

12. Kamina

Well my trigger was/is Hannah Hart from the youtube community. I got really interested in her and started thinking that she was cute ^.^ needless to say I was kinda shocked and then I googled/denyed it for like a month and a half and then I found here and have been a member ever since :grin: so no worries s' all good!

13. srslywtf

^ Mine too actually :lol: . I mean not direct attraction to her. but her videos are kinda what triggered the final realisation/acceptance.

14. MathMan

i never thought about it much before, but i can clearly remember being in like 6th and 7th grade and being attracted to a couple girls who looked like boys. they had super short hair, and dressed like boys and i can remember finding something really hot with that, moreso than any other girls in school, and thought i could probably be gay

15. Taiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whoa, I did that a couple times as well.

16. NouvelleVague

God thank you, when I thought I was alone on Earth !