1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought I was Bi, but what if I'm a lesbian? .-.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Musicalprophet, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Musicalprophet

So I just started really questioning my sexuality. It wasn't something I ever thought about. I mean, when your told something all your life (not directly) then what choice do you have but to believe it. Ignorance in it's purest form. It wasn't until I was exposed to the LGBT community that I even thought about things like people being gay, or being attracted to the same sex. That happened around sixth grade. A close friend of mine lended me a book to read. looking at the cover and reading the back of the book, I assumed it was from a male point of view because it was talking about the love interest, which was a girl. When I started reading the book, and saw that the lead character was a girl I realized I was wrong. Now I've always liked to say I've always been open minded and supportive of any and everything, but looking back with wider eyes, I realize I was actually ignorant. When i descovered it was about lesbians, i kind of freaked and my frend just gave me that look (that she would give me when i was being... well... me i gues haha) The friend who lent me the book would proceed to come out the year I moved back to my home state, which was the year after, and I just keep thinking about how I reacted and how it must have felt to keep your true self a secret, and having one of your close friends reacting ignorantly/negatively to who you are.

The reason for this long story is because I think this is what set in motion my doubt of who I really am. I ended up reading that book, and completely loving it. It wasn't until the beginning of my freshman year that I really started hardcorely thinking I might be into girls. The first time I met (one of my now best friends) I thought she was a guy. She is (what the asain/eastern community) refers to as a Tom(boy). When I first saw her, I found myself attracted to her and when I later discovered she was a girl, I noticed the attraction didnt go away. Well most people would then say (and have said) that's normal, she looks like a guy. Only problem is, I no longer saw her as a guy. Eventually I got over it because my (other) best friend started dating her (proud and strong for nearly over a year!! •^.^•) but it still left me in a confusion.

The same year, I started dating my (year long) crush (who was a guy), and all thoughts of confusion went away. When we broke up (twice) after four months, I became reconnected with an old friend of mine (our families were like peanut butter and jelly xD). After talking with her for a long time, she confessed to me that she was a lesbian and she had feelings for me. Thus began my confusion again. After I started dating her (the first time with a girl) I said to myself "okay. So your bisexual." That went on that way for a couple of months. But after we broke up, the idea of dating a guy didnt sit well with me for some reason. Then I started asking myself specific questions. I knew I found girls and guys attractive, but when I got more specific, I discovered the actual idea of them being a guy reversed that attraction. Does that makes sense? Like with my friend, she looked like a guy and when I found out she was a girl it didn't change anything. But I think if we remet now, I assumed she was a Tomboy becaus of her feminine futures and then later found out she was really a guy, I wouldn't feel the same way.

So I guess the whole point of this long analyzing look at my sexuality is: if I find a guy attractive, but thinking about the fact that he's a guy makes the attraction go away, does that make me a lesbian?

Until someone decides to takle my crazy question, I'll just stick with my motto, and not let gender define love •^.^• Ta Ta~~

2. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I've thought about this myself. It makes me question the whole genetics thing, and makes me think sexuality has a lot to do with nurture, chance, and perception.

I think I have a foul perception of women. Not always. It wasn't until after I broke up with my first real gf and after seeing all the terrible things my mom did I had an extremely unstable outlook on females. I spent years hating women, I wanted a women but I hated them, I think my body switched for me honestly. Who knows!

I still get anxiety when I think of women. Usually bad things pop up also when I'm reminded of women, like cheating, or slut, or liar, manipulative... Stuff like that

So I think I got issues myself with woman. I just feel like girls are so damn untrustworthy

3. Musicalprophet

I see what your saying, en experience can change your perception of something as a whole. But my o my problem with that is, I always try to not judge people on anything but themselves. Personality wise... I don't think it's fair passing judgment on something like gender or background or race etc.

So I guess emotional attraction and physical attraction are different in the way that one you can kind of open up to, but the other is what your body's telling you.

4. StormySea

Well if you're attracted to girls and the idea of being romantically involved with a guy repulses you, then you probably do fall somewhere on the lesbian spectrum! ;D

In my own experience, I had a negative outlook on males because of past, unwelcome experiences with them, which I think reenforced my attachment to girls (and made me suppress being bigender because I was worried I'd just end up being an asshole). However, I meet a few guys in high school who completely changed my view about males and one very special friend who made me realize I wasn't as 100% into women as I thought! x3

Your life experiences will influence your outlook on these sort of predicaments, but if for now you want to tell people you're lesbian because you can't see yourself with a guy, that's awesome! :grin:
    And if later you find a guy you hit it off with, that's awesome! :grin:
    If you find you end up not caring about what's in peoples pants (pansexuality baby!), that's awesome! xD

Hope this helps!

(Btw, just wanted to say that you're a very special type of person that unfortunately people don't see very often in humanity. I wish there were more people like you out there! (*hug*) )

5. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

So if I understand you well, you attractive to both men and women but you don't really want to be with men? this it exacly what I feel, and I define myself as bisexual homoromantic. I do find men and women physical attractive (women much more) but still I don't want to be with men at all because I'm homoromantic, which means that I'm not emotional attracted to men, only women.
    I can't see myself with men because the emotional attraction is so important to me.. I can't be with someone only because he's hot

I remember when I was questioned myself. at first, like you, I though I was bisexual.
    but it wasnt make sense to me because I don't have the desire to be with the opposite sex. then I though maybe I'm lesbian, but it wasn't completly true because I knew i'm attracted to guys. in the end I finally understood i'm bisexual homoromantic and I don't want to be with guys because I NEED the emotional connection.

6. Musicalprophet

Well it doesn't exactly repulse me, I just can't see myself withy then anymore..
    And yes I completely agree with you about the experiences changing your point of view on things....

Thank you.... Your story helped a lot.
    I'm just going to let the chips fall where they may ^.^
    But as for labeling myself, I'm not sure about that yet O.O it just confuses me more how many names and catagories there are for everything...

Really? Thank you ^.^ that kinda made my day (*hug*)

7. Holly

Ultimately, I first identified as bisexual because part of me was in denial about being gay. I knew I liked girls, that was plainly obvious to me, but it was only when I looked into the relationship side of things that I realised I was gay.

I can appreciate a good-looking guy, we also notice when someone's attractive, but I can't see myself having anything more with a guy than just a glance as they pass by (of course, friendship is a completely different thing), and that realisation changed things for me. I can easily see myself in a relationship with a female, and in my mind, it would be so much nicer to be in a relationship with a guy than a girl. Clearly you find girls attractive, but I would recommend looking at the bigger picture.

Can you see yourself in a relationship with a guy?
    Can you see yourself in a relationship with a girl?

Ultimately, I do think there is a difference in romantic and sexual attraction, and I classify my sexuality based on my romantic views more than my sexual views. I don't really differentiate between them personally, but my romantic/relationship views mean more to me. That might be what you are feeling.

I hope you figure yourself out. I remember when I was questioning, and it was a bitch (excuse my language). I'm now super happy with myself because I've realised who I really am, it just took me a few years. Never give up hope!

8. serpentis

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am in a similar situation as the OP except that I am male. Recently I have come to realize that I am atleast bisexual, but something still nags at me: that I might be using bisexuality as another shield (I used to use HOCD) against admitting I may be gay. Something in your post caught my eye though:

Can you see yourself in a relationship with a guy?
    Can you see yourself in a relationship with a girl?

How did you objectively answer these questions? As you can understand there are a lot of feelings and fears mixed in with answering these questions which would affect my answer. I appreciate any response, thanks.

9. Holly

I completely understand your hesitation to answer these, and it certainly isn't something that I answered in an evening. It actually took me a bit of time. There's honestly no way to answer them objectively. Your whole mindset on relationships is based on your thoughts and feelings, and they are actually the best indicator, even if they can be confusing for a while

Honestly, I'm a bit of a romantic, so I tried to imagine romantic scenes with both genders, like a picnic, snuggling in bed or a romantic dinner. This was perhaps the clearest thing for me. I have a particularly vivid imagination (I blame all the reading), so I kinda saw what I preferred. For example, I found I liked the idea of snuggling on the sofa reading with a girl far nicer than being with a guy.

If you're not a massive romantic like I am (It's a curse, I must admit), I would try pros and cons/what you like about each gender. If there are more domesticated ideas on your pros list, that may give you a good idea.

It took me a lot of time to work it out, mainly because society deems that I should be in a relationship with a guy, as it is the norm, and is seen everywhere. I wouldn't discount bisexuality though. Although I identify as a lesbian, I'm never 100% ruling out guys. I'm probably never going to hunt for a relationship with one, but there may be one feminine, bookaholic guy that changes my mind on things. I find it highly improbable, but it may happen. I don't know the future.

Just don't be afraid of time. Time is the best thing when figuring anything out, and being patient helps that. I know it's frustrating, I hated it when I was confused. But you just have to see light at the end of the tunnel, and experience and time are the best way to travel there.

Good luck with everything. Feel free to post on my wall if you want to chat more, or just reply to this thread of course. Hope things go well for you, and don't be scared of subjectivity! It's all your views on things.

10. Musicalprophet

I completely see what your saying, and in any case if I went by those two questions, I think I woul be classified as lesbian. My ONLY problem with that though is that I'm not comfortable at all with labels. I don't want to classify myself as Bi because I'm trying to hide anything, I'm done with that part. It's just when it comes to a guy, I'm not saying "No, not ever" because I know my mindset. Which is why should I let gender stop me from falling in love with someone? Sooooo I guess if I was going on what I see myself as (of right now) I'd be a lesbian, but like you said.... I don't know what the future holds....

And here's the point where it comes to, "do I really have to change what label I put on myself, because the situation has changed"?
    Can you see how that could get a bit tedious?

11. Holly

At the end of the day, a label should be used because you feel comfortable using it/want to use it. It can make things easier when coming out/people understanding you, but ultimately you should only use labels for your own personal happiness. I personally found that I use a label because it makes me feel part of something, rather than just a random freak, so for me it's a sense of security. But I can see how it can be restricting.

Ultimately, you don't have to use a label. It's your own choice.

12. Musicalprophet

Okay.... So I guess I'll just label myself "just plain ol' me" ...
    And hope for the best ^.^

Thank you, though.

13. Holly

Good luck :slight_smile:

14. serpentis

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts on the forum to post on your wall. Anyways, I understand that time is great I just wish I could resolve it faster since "nagging" is quite an understatement about this whole problem. I've just been feeling way less motivated and happy since the questioning started full force and it's constantly on my mind. I really do appreciate you taking time to respond to my questions though.

15. Holly

It is a tough time, I completely understand that. Just try taking a step back from it all. I remember when my 'quest for figuring out my sexuality' completely consumed me, just because I was constantly confused. But you have to remember that your sexuality is just a small part of you, and it certainly isn't the most important part of you.