1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCD and Sex

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MarkW1, Jul 28, 2013.

1. MarkW1

Hello all,

I'm an OCD sufferer who's been through a lot of difficulties for the past 6 -8 years. One thing has been bothering for the past year now and it has been related to my sexuality. I have been attracted towards men since I was really young and have enjoyed feeling this way. I started to lose the attraction towards men last year while on holiday at the beach and it stressed me out (probably the reason for the loss of attraction). I wasn't sure if I was feeling attractions towards women which made me feel even more miserable because I wanted to only like men.

I checked a lot to see if I was indeed attracted to women and kept looking at men to try to reassure myself that I was still into them. There was one time during that holiday when I somehow managed to get the attraction I used to get, it made me super happy and was in a good mood...only for it to go away again that night... :frowning2: I may have felt an attraction towards women during that time but I can't remember.

My attraction towards men eventually came back, but not the way it used to be, still happy it's there. I have felt some attractions towards women but have not been happy with them. It's because of these feelings I have not felt sure over what I am. I am scared if I lose my attraction towards men in the future.

I have learnt throughout the year to not get stressed over these feelings. My attraction for men is back and strong (still not the same as before), but I'm not sure about women and I don't want these feelings. I'm feeling confused with my feelings.

So here are my questions. Is this an OCD issue related to sexual orientation? I know this happens to some sufferers. Am I gay?

2. OhSOCurious

You cannot force yourself into a sexuality. Sadly sometimes it takes it's course and you want it to go another way. There are people who were once heterosexual and now are homosexual and wish it hadn't happened and vice versa on numerous sexualities. You may be changing or just still in the mix of things. Although it may sound strange, but your OCD would have the opposite affect. Being attracted to men for so long then changing isn't like someone with OCD, from what i know (and my own form of OCD) is that OCD makes you want things orderly and consistent. I hate change, i have a consitent schedule and if it changes i can't always cope. So i know what you're going through. Allow things play out and try to see things for what they're meant to be.
    I hope this helps. (*hug*)

3. MarkW1

Can't OCD make you fear of being attracted to something you're not? I've read a lot of things where people have a fear of being gay. Won't it be similar to me not wanting to be straight? I have my feelings for men and I love them.

4. OhSOCurious

I doubt Obsessive–compulsive disorder would make you fear it. It certainly can make you think you could be attracted to something your not. It's compulsive and you cannot control it. But since you feel so strong willed to be attracted to men, there wouldn't be any reasonable explanation to say you are liking women or switching sexuality at all. It may just be your bisexuality in general, conflicting with wanting to be gay.

#4 OhSOCurious, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  5. MarkW1

Well, people do have worries from it, here: Sexual Orientation Obsessions in OCD | Psychology Today

I think I'll just consider myself to be bi-sexual. I like my thoughts about men.

Thank you for your help btw.

6. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I would just go with the flow man, don't be scared... Also you need to remember, sometimes your just not in the mood, n u go to force it n wonder why!, wait till your feelin horny n then masturbate to some gay wild fantasies