1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm probs gay... why's it still hard for me to accept?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by wanderinggirl, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wanderinggirl

Well shoot. Ok here's my whole backstory:

I identified as straight til I was 24. For the past several months I've been identifying as bi/pan/queer, but I am now kinda doubting that.

I had moments of panic when I was younger, but kept repressing everything. Even after a couple dare-kisses with girls. Throughout high school and college, I generally felt really unexcited by dates with guys. I enjoyed physical stuff generally and had some crushes here or there, but as soon as a guy would like me back I would decide I didn't like him anymore and run off.

Anyways I decided finally to stop pursuing guys, and enjoy being single... and just like that I realized I had feelings for a girl. It was exciting at first, and then I sank into depression. I never had a spontaneous crush like that before; prior, I would think a whole lot about a guy before deciding to like him.

I told my friends and some family know; but most people were shocked, which made me question everything all over again. Was this all in my head because I couldn't find a guy I really liked to date?

Realizing I'm queer has helped me let go of a lot of stuff: pressure to have long feminine hair and wear skirts and dresses and not dress too tomboy and talk about boys... it was like I was a caricature of my feminine side. Now I can dress however I want, and I'm exhibiting a real preference for tomboy styles.

I still go back and forth, some days thinking I'm gay some days thinking I'm straight. Even though I liked dating guys in the past, I still never totally enjoyed it. And now that I can date girls, it's all I want to date. But why is it so hard for me to accept being potentially gay? What's holding me back? The label itself doesn't matter, but being bisexual gives me some kind of an "out" for potentially marrying a guy and living a completely "normal" heterosexual lifestyle if I want it someday, whereas being gay doesn't allow for that possibility. And because I came out so late, part of me worries that I'm making this all up and that I might be straight; which would suck, because I like being queer.

It's not that I've rejected the bisexual/pansexual label entirely, but somehow it doesn't feel right to me; I feel like I have a clear preference, but it's not clear yet.

But if I like it so much, why is it still so hard for me to get past it?

2. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I think if you still have mixed feelings for men and women then you might be bisexual. I'm the same way. I prefer women but still find myself attracted to certain men and I know I want to have sex with them. I wouldn't say that it is "an out" to be attracted to who you are attracted to. That is just who you like.

3. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I find socially attractive women, very appealing to the eye I'm just bow sexually attracted, I wish freakin was though because there perfect.

4. wanderinggirl

Yeah I know it's not an out and some people are genuinely bisexual, but I don't know if that applies to me anymore. Just because I can be turned on with a guy doesn't mean I want to date/sleep with guys, I guess. I just don't want to fall back on bisexuality because it's more flexible.

5. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    F*** labels. You don't need labels. Well, when talking to other people and within dating using labels can help tell people what your preferences are, but don't ever think a label will hold you back. It's not like a label is like a college degree. Labels are some kind of box you need to put yourself in. Just be you, that's all that matters. When your friends ask or a potential partner asks, you could just say bi, or eh I'm not really sure, that part doesn't really matter.

I say try dating girls. Explore that. You know what it's like to be with guys, but it sounds like the idea of being with girls is just something that's been in your head and the actual experience of it will really open your mind.

Also, you said when the people you told were shocked and it made you question yourself. Don't let that happen. No one knows you as well as you. They have no idea what's going through your head. I remember when I told my mom I was gay she was shocked and angry and it made me question if my homosexuality was real, but I got over that, she had no idea what she was talking about.

Dang, I wish guys did dare kisses. You girls are lucky.

6. wanderinggirl

Memyself, haha one of the dare kisses I had was when two guys wanted me and my friend to kiss and they promised to kiss after... but they didnt! It's really a shame. :slight_smile:

Anyways yea labels don't matter, but what does matter is that I fully accept myself, and sometimes labels might hold me back. My point was that if I identify as bi but am really gay, I'm just doing it for the option of being with a guy. Sometimes when I come out to a friend I tell them i like girls but then follow up with "But I still like dating guys" and I don't know why... to what, reassure my friends that I'm not gay? Because they don't care. I'm the one that cares at the end of the day, and when I say statements like that and they feel wrong, I feel like I'm still in denial even as I'm coming out as something else. Does that make sense? Oh who knows. It also makes it easier to deal with the people who are like "but you always seemed so straight to me! You were so into guys!" and i'm like well... yea... i don't know what to say.

That being said, I posted this after a date with a girl. My experiences with girls have been awesome thus far, even though i haven't really had a girlfriend perse I have dated around and I feel like I can see myself with a girl much more than I can see myself with a guy in the future.

There was a really long time, while I was "straight", that I felt like I wasn't capable of love and that I would never be in love and it's all fiction... but turns out that maybe I can't connect romantically with guys on a level above platonic. And so now I'm starting to believe in love I guess.

Soooo long story short labels don't matter, except that they have made it both easier and harder for me to accept myself. I guess the best I can do is just not call myself bisexual.

7. ScootalooBanzai

This is a difficult one. the only way to really see this clearly is to put yourself into a mental state outside judgement, or expectations of other people. Once there, you have to allow yourself to 'drift' naturally to where you're most 'at home'.

Then again, so some people it isn't so internalized, but more a matter of experience--they find themselves through experiences with other people. If that seems like you, then it's just a matter of doing, not analyzing...

8. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I was young I wasn't sure what love actually was. I actually thought it was something you didn't actually experience until you were old. Of course when I was young I had this naive idea that the right girl would come along. Time drifted on and well here I am.

When you are in the comfort of your own home or room, put a wall around yourself, ignoring everything that everybody thinks or says. Ignore everybody's homophobic "opinion" and just focus on what your heart truly desires. Love knows absolutly no bounds, it's a little bit crazy that way :slight_smile:.

It took me a awhile to finally accept the fact that I wasn't like the rest of my family. For a while I was depressed and felt like God hated me and none of my family would accept me. I just basically stopped thinking irrational thoughts that made no sense and told myself that love doesn't care who you are and who you fall for. Love is wild enough to make you crazy around other girls. I totally get it.
    Hope I helped

9. hilltophouse

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Wow, you're me!

The main reason I come out as queer/bisexual rather than gay is that I feel that my previous attractions for guys mean that I could potentially fall for a guy for the future, and I don't want people to think I'm a 'fake' lesbian. Also I guess the worry that I am a fake lesbian means that the bisexual label leaves more room for manoeuvre. Finally I also think I could be attracted to a trans man or genderqueer person, which doesn't really fit under 'gay'.

It is a bit awkward, because I say exactly the same thing to friends (I like girls... but I do still like guys!!), but then most things I say after that kind of run counter the liking guys part, so my friends assume I'm gay anyway.

10. wanderinggirl

Thanks guys for all your advice, this is gonna take some good ole fashioned thinking. Or rather, antithinking. I'm gonna meditate on this and see what comes up. Actually, when I first started meditating due to general stress and lack of perspective, that was when I opened myself to the possibility and found myself face to face with my repressed sexuality.

hilltophouse glad you can relate! some people have said that i'm not really gay because of those past experiences, which in the moment were enjoyable. It's hard to explain to people. I think I need to not get so hung up on the explaining part.