1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexually confused. Considering trying dating women. Scared and freaked out.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LaCoquette, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LaCoquette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a 30 year old woman who has suffered from depression on and off for the past ten years. I had my worst episode earlier this year in which I felt suicidal. I am now having therapy (again) and feeling a bit better. I've been making some good decisions about things and I feel life is progressing a little easier, things are perhaps falling into place a bit more, mainly to do with my career.

One of my 'problems' however has been my 'inability' or whatever you want to call it to find a man I really fancy, want to date and have a relationship with. I've been single for 5 years now and I've dated about 11 different men I've met through online dating or friends. I only fancied one of them who turned out to be a bad egg (just after sex, v disrespectful) and only got intimate with another one of them. Weirdly, the guy I got intimate with I am pretty sure he's gay and doesn't realise it yet. I just felt SO comfortable chatting to him, unlike all the other dates with the other men which were awkward, dull, unenjoyable and exhausting, I could relax with him. It was all very odd how we ended up in bed being intimate since he was so camp and I didn't really fancy him, but I was very turned on when we were fooling around and wanted to have sex with him (but felt it was too soon). After that, I couldn't get over his campness and worried he'd one day come out as gay so I ended it, we were both very sad and then I got into the very bad depressive episode.

Now that I'm a little better, it got me to thinking about dating again. The thing is, the thought of going on more dates with more boring men I don't fancy in the slightest makes me feel very down and 'ugh.' I would much rather stay at home and hang out with my cat, or see my friends, watch a film etc. I do, however, want to find someone eventually, want to have a partner, and enjoy intimacy again.

The reason I'm here is because I....this is hard to admit.....I wonder if I have been suppressing my sexuality somewhat for many years. When I was 15 I remember having this terrible few weeks where I kept thinking I was a lesbian for no apparent reason. It upset me so much as I was and still am very feminine, and always identified as straight. I told my mum and she reassured me saying it was a stage etc. I forgot about it until it happened again when I was at university aged 21. Sudden 'oh god what if I'm a lesbian' horror thoughts re-emerged. I remember at the time feeling there was no way on earth I could experiment by dating women because my friends were so conservative and the whole idea made me feel 'yuck' and like the time before, I felt totally distraught and horrified by my thoughts.

Since then every few years I get the same random thoughts. I often think women are beautiful, much more beautiful than most men, but don't usually think of it as a sexual attraction, more of an admiration? I also want to look like those beautiful women and have always had long hair, kept in shape, worn makeup etc. I'd hate to look butch and masculine (no offense to anyone here, its just I love the feeling of being feminine).

I have had same sex fantasies, but also opposite sex fantasies. I've never had sex with a woman and I'm not sure if I'd like to or not, I feel very confused, but I partly wonder if I just can't admit it to myself because of my own fears and prejudices? During sex with men, I get really turned on during foreplay, but never orgasm with them. I dumped my last boyfriend as I just didn't fancy him, I remember when I first saw his body I felt so disappointed but stayed with him for over a year because I knew he was a good man and hoped things would improve. I did have one boyfriend who was absolutely gorgeous, I really fancied him and loved being intimate with him, but emotionally he was childish and mean and it didn't last. I seem to be extremely picky with men, finding most of them in my city not that attractive if I'm honest. I find foreign men abroad much hotter but in my experiences they have been untrustworthy and not good partners. I find with men my fantasies often involve them dominating me, a bit bdsm-ish rather than lovey dovey romantic stuff lol.

Another thing is, for my whole life, I've noticed I've often felt very uncomfortable whenever there would be lesbian storylines on tv, or if I met a lesbian in real life I'd feel weird about it. I remember almost having a panic attack once when I was watching the episode of sex and the city where Samantha has a lesbian relationship. I was watching it with a group of female friends and felt soooooooooooo uncomfortable it was terrible, and I worried they'd notice my discomfort. Still now I'd hate to watch a lesbian couple on tv in front of other people. I'd be fine watching it by myself (and be quite curious about it too) but watching it with others would make me blush and cringe massively. Although I hate watching any sort of sex in front of others too, it all makes me feel awkward.

I think I've also always had this fear that lesbians are big butch dykes and I don't find that attractive nor do I want to look like that, which has added to my confusion. I also always thought I'd marry a man and have children one day. I'm really not sure I want to be gay and have a female partner, I've always been pretty grossed out by the thought of it and loved being 'normal.' My school was not very accepting of diversity, things are a lot better now.

I've mostly always just thought 'I haven't met the right man yet' but I do partly wonder if maybe I'm not actually straight, and I have repressed a gay or bi orientation under years of fears, phobias and prejudices?

I'm very confused right now and not feeling comfortable about any of this. However, I have been very ill with depression so I'm trying to be fully open and honest with myself to make sure I can be as true to myself as possible. The thought of being bi or gay terrifies me, not to mention going on dates with women, and telling my friends and family.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks,
    La Coquette

2. wanderinggirl

I'm sorry you have been going through such a rough time. Firstly, take care of yourself. Often when I've felt depressed I tried to distract myself with dating but it only made the isolation worse because it wasn't the root cause.

I had those "oh god am i gay" panics periodically throughout my childhood too. I doubt those thoughts come out of the blue; they must be caused by something. Do you remember what prompted those thoughts?

Also, I always felt uncomfortable around lesbians too! and didn't know why! until I came out to myself and was like "wow, it's because i think they're really hot." Firstly lesbians come in many shapes sizes and gender expressions; you just have to find what you like.

The root of this issue I guess is that you've always had nagging feelings that you may be attracted to women but felt on the outside of the gay community, and felt like it would be somethign that made you "other". It sounds like you don't have any experience with women; maybe discretely dating around (the wonderful internet is a good place to start) would help you figure stuff out. Don't get hung up on the "sex" part of it; if there are feelings then the rest will fall into place.

If you do fall in love with a woman and choose to have a life with her, yes it seems like a huge departure from what you're used to in your mind (a heterosexual lifestyle) but it's not like you have to marry a woman tomorrow. You have plenty of time to date around and see hwat you like and let your feelings dictate your relationships, rather than letting your relationships dictate how you're supposed to "feel". Those women you see living together and married and with a family, they have had years of experience and plenty of time to get used to the idea that they are gay. So be patient and let things happen naturally. As for family and friends... coming out isn't always easy and doesn't always go as planned, but hopefully you have enough friends/family that will support you through it so that you won't ever be alone in this.

I really hope you get better, and that your depression eases, and that no matter your sexual orientation you can accept yourself and find someone who makes you happy.

3. LaCoquette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your reply @wanderinggirl it was very kind and you pointed out some important things for me to think about.

I think I have been focusing on the sex side of things rather than the love side of things. I've just seen on your thread you wrote about feeling like you didn't feel capable of love when you were dating men. I think I feel like that too. I enjoy the physical side with men but the emotional side is usually lacking for me. I have met some lovely, kind, good men but I always get this terrible feeling of guilt and sadness whenever I'm in a relationship with a man knowing I have to end it but never being sure why. I then end it, feel miserable for months before the cycle continues. I never, until today, thought it was because I might actually be gay, I always just thought I had intimacy issues or hadn't met the right man. I think I don't think about love much because love with men has never worked out for me and it has been incredibly painful. And I think I never truly considered how I could be gay before because I was, and mostly still am, totally uncomfortable with it as a reality.

I have so much to think about, it's all a bit crazy. I have ignored these worries for so long, suppressed them very well, but if I am gay or bi (which to be honest, I think I'm at least bi all things considered) I don't want to shut myself in the closet for another ten years and cause myself any more unnecessary pain. I have been able to close these feelings down and deny them for a very long time but I partly feel I've come to the end of the line with it now. I suppose my age, or my ongoing depression, and the way I'm still single are all making me question if I am really a regular straight woman or somebody entirely different.

Thanks for your advice and wishing you good luck with your journey of self discovery too.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are men allowed to post? Because your story sounds very similar to mine when I was first questioning. The relationships I had with women weren't lacking in the sex department, and I definitely felt love, but still, there was something lacking - at the time I knew it had something to do with self-acceptance, but never considered I might be anything other than straight.

I thought, "It's not unheard of for someone to have same-sex dreams or fantasies now and then," but the assumption was that I'd only have a few, and they'd pass, except they lingered on for months and became more consistent. That, combined with the general "emptiness" I felt with my exes lead me to start seriously questioning my sexuality. It was bizarre that I felt confused at times, yet longing at others; truly a bittersweet experience.

It wasn't until I accepted and embraced my same-sex attractions that I finally did want to date others, whereas before, it felt like more of an obligation. There was no real incentive for me, but the pressure remained. A lot of people say they know early on, and stay closeted for years, but because mine was repressed from a very early age, those thoughts were never even entertained, and I definitely relate to the whole feeling uncomfortable around gays/lesbians, too.

I guess for now you could try exposing yourself to LGBT, and posting on the site is a fine start. You'll see, in time, that gay men and women aren't all like the stereotypes you've been lead to believe, and even those who conform to those stereotypes are really just people like you. Who knows, you just might end up becoming friends with one? There's no need to rush to labeling yourself, going on dates, or introducing your family; those can wait until later. For now, give yourself the time to question and become comfortable with yourself.

No rush, no pressure, no judgment. This is your community, and we're here to help. (*hug*)

5. lowkey

lowkey Guest

Route cause lol, I think life is satisfying when you force yourself to do things, n appreciate whatcha doin

I try to do this but can't, so I seem very incapable