1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluid nature of sexual identity

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Unsure201338, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Unsure201338

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure if I have seen this before so I wanted to ask. I completely agree with the idea that sexual orientation is not a choice....we are who we are. But, I keep reading that sexual identity and/or orientation is fluid. Does this seem a contradiction to anyone else? If it isn't a choice, how can it be fluid? Is it just about the fact that there is a journey process involved in discovering ones identity and that you may come to know/understand more over time? :eusa_doh:

2. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I think that what they mean by fluidity is that it changes time after time without their permission, meaning it is NOT their choice, like say one time of the day you're attracted to opposite sex then sometime around noon you're attracted to same sex, so on and so forth, rinse and repeat. I don't think they FORCE it to happen like; "I want women/men/ect." I think it just happens.

3. Reptillian

+1

I'd like to add that there are two kinds of fluid sexuality, one where sexuality changes very slowly which is a far more common scenario and then there is rapid fluid sexuality which is caused by strokes or psychiatric drug or an accident. There is less than 18 documented cases on rapid fluid sexuality whereas the prevalence on slow fluid sexuality is much, and much higher. However, slow fluid sexuality is still rare.

4. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I might have slow sexuality fluidness.

I'm just coming to terms with being gay n now I feel like I'm slowly turning straight again

5. Unsure201338

Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess that is where I get confused...turning straight?? Maybe it i just semantics??

6. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I doubt that, I have no idea what your situation is but I will doubt any answer until I do, is there any reason why you think you might be "turning" straight?

7. Reptillian

I think the OP is asking how it is possible for one to turn straight?

The answer is that it's due to major brain changes in areas related to sexual attraction. Brain changes have been known to change preferences, behaviors, personality, and whatsoever there is. Usually, fluid sexuality is slow as in complete changes occurs in a period of 3 months to even decades.

8. Unsure201338

Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting....ok.

So the fluidity part is really just the idea that it can evolve but it is not a conscious choice?

9. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Pretty much.