1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we divide sexual orientation into groups????

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by dudette, Aug 13, 2013.

1. dudette

Each of us has its own unique sexual orientation. And I was thinking if categorizing people into groups is a correct approach to this.
    I mean ancient greeks did not divide people into groups because of their sexual orientation, and the funny thing is that they did not invent something like sexual orientation.
    (for people who don't know, the ancient greeks did not find homosexual relationship strange or wrong; However, they would find it strange if a man or woman would choose to be with the same gender ONLY. I did a lot of research about it)

So what do you think about it, do you think that the ancient greeks approach was better?
    Or you think that nowadays is better?

2. ScatteredEarth

It's not about us being in different categories though.. It's about us coming together to support one another in our struggles in a world that opposes us. Maybe we shouldn't be grouped together like that.

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    While this is a common held belief, it's not totally true. For example: Plato's Myth on the Origins of Sexual Orientation

4. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People should be celebrated for their difference, not segregated.

I hate labels and I have separation...which is exactly what 'grouping' is.

5. dudette

6. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're welcome. :slight_smile:

Here's a link with even more info.: Gay History and Literature: Essays by Rictor Norton

This one in particular is of interest you: The Myth of the Modern Homosexual by Rictor Norton

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2013 at 01:50 PM ----------

I don't think there's any problem with labels, per se. While in attempts to combat bigots we often declare high and mighty that "we're all the same! down with labels! argh", the truth is that we're not all the same. The problem is when some people think that a certain label (i.e. theirs) is better than others (i.e. everyone else's).

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Labels are a tricky thing. Some people prefer to not use labels and just be, while others like the sense of concreteness a label provides. (I'm in the latter category.) The problem starts when people start pushing their own attitudes toward labels on others.

Labels aren't inherently bad, though, and anyone who makes a blanket statement like, "I don't do labels," is definitely lying. We label ourselves all the time: white, black, Hispanic, Asian, middle eastern, student, cashier, engineer, liberal, conservative, metalhead, rap fan, pop fan, Little Monster, male, female, genderqueer, I could go on.

8. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    People say that everyone is unique, but I don't really agree with that.
    Some people are so similar in orientation that it makes sense to put them together, because there is very little difference.

9. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not about 'not doing labels', I just hate labels because of the power they have over people and the way they can be used as weapons to isolate and segregate people. How can you learn from peoples differences when we are divided by labels?

Labels play a very minor role in my life...they are there, but I don't care for them.