1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So school is starting for me this Monday..

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Dapper, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dapper

And I'm a little nervous, to be honest. I'm going to be a Junior this year, so I'm not new to all this High school stuff; I'm just a bit worried about all this gender stuff I've been going through. I try not to stress anything, and I'm by nature a very positive person, but I just, I don't know. I know that eventually people will start to question me, or I'll become uncomfortable with how others address me (I'm okaaayyyy with any pronouns, but I feel itchy when people call me a "girl" or "pretty" and stuff like that, if that makes sense....) and have to speak up. Anyway, so I have a question. Do y'all think I should come out right up front, or should I just coast on until people ask questions? I'm okay answering peoples' questions, I just don't don't want to unnecessarily out myself because it might confuse some people or make it seem like I'm drawing attention to myself, y'get me? I don't know, I just want some advice :x also, I'm not looking for any guys or girls to mess with me because I'm non-binary (my school is quite open-minded, but there are some people who enjoy to mess with those who are different). I don't pay them any mind, they just get annoying, lol. I hope this post isn't too scrambled, I tend to babble a lot >.< Thanks!

2. Nick07

Hi,
    It's great to know that you are feeling pretty good!

I would wait. I am not sure about your school, but majority of the people here have only vague idea about what trans* means. Anyone who would come out at school here would have to do a lot of explaining.

3. Dapper

Yeaahh, I live in Miami, so everyone is pretty open-minded, but not many know about what it means to be trans*. In my school, for example, there is a HUGE amount of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals, but I've only met two FtMs and no other type of trans* people. Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

4. Two Shakes

Going back to school is tough enough when you're cisgendered, I feel for you! I mean, there are gonna be people that get on you and not everyone is going to be accepting, but you know what? In the end it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure when you discovered you were genderqueer/what have you, but I presume once you found out and made the appropriate physical changes, you were tons happier with your body. I can't speak for everyone, I'm just grabbing at straws here, but if I guessed correctly I bet every morning you wake up happier than you did before, because you finally found yourself. That's not something everybody can say.

I'm not saying 'You can't ever be sad, now you're happy with your gender, why complain about other stuff'- no, even though you're comfortable with it doesn't mean all your other problems disappear. I'm just saying, there is this satisfaction that comes from being at unease with your body your whole life/a long time and then finally, for once, being at ease with it. I think that's something that's magical.

Okay, filled my cheesiness quota for the month.. You probably didn't understand half of that slobbery sappy word vomit, but either way, I hope things go great at school! :slight_smile: I'm legitimately looking forward to an update on how your first day went, haha.

5. Kamina

I'd say come out to a few who won't spread the word so that they can use the proper pronouns and the like, when it's just you. I also call some of my female friends handsome when we are kidding around, and everyone dude/man so if a few close friends did that then I don't think it would raise eyebrows. Then coast, come out if asked or don't depending on how you feel. My school is the same as yours, some jerks but generally openminded (catholic suprisingly altho I know a few buddhists and a hindu) and if I were coming out then that's what I'd do. :slight_smile: hope that helps a bit!

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2013 at 08:06 PM ----------

Update us on your first day!! I really hope it goes well, gr 11 is wonderful (I'm gr 12 this coming year)! Good luck! :thumbsup: (!)

6. TheUglyBarnacle

I can't help you because I'll probably be in a similar position soon enough and I still haven't made up my mind about it but I look forward to an update.

7. Dapper

This was pretty spot-on and adorable! Thank you! (&&&)
    Yelena, thanks for the input! You have a good idea ^.^
    TheUglyBarnacle, Good luck! Feel free to message me if you need any help or anything :slight_smile:

#7 Dapper, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013