1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality limited to sexual desire?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Secretman, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I find some women to be beautiful, and their facial features and voice are attractive. However, I have no desire to be intimate with them. The opposite is true with men. I don't find most men's faces attractive, (though perhaps that's because I'm scared to admit possible attraction). Yet I would much prefer to be intimate with a man.

(Keep in mind this is all speculation as I've had no sexual experience because I'm shy as hell and I'm terrified of dating, man or woman.)

So that's that. I'm concerned that I'm too scared to reveal my true feelings to myself, and I'm scared and relatively alone.

Sorry for rambling.

2. Amerigo

i was thinking this today, and ellen degeneras gave a rather satisfying answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDcreduSygw&feature=youtu.be&t=5m41s

she talks about soul connections. so no, i wouldn't say it's purely sexual.

people have previously argued man and woman are like positive and negative forces that just fit together, and that's why man and man/woman and woman cannot work, but i just think that's simple minded.

3. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Depends on how someone defines it. I have a more narrow definition which limits it to sexual desire, a primal instinct or orientation to a particular gender or genders. You can appreciate the beauty of someone you're not attracted to. Who you desire to be intimate with is the foundation of your sexuality. Just my opinion, though.

4. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh. That actually made things a lot clearer in my mind, thank you.

5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you have no desire to be sexually intimate with someone, you are not into them. If you have no desire to be sexually intimate with a whole gender, you are just not into that gender.