1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's hard being a tomboy.....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mellow russet, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum. I don't quite know how to say this but I think I will start with a little background about myself.
    I was born and raised in Penang, where generally any topic to do with LGBT is taboo. Growing up, when I was kid I was a real tomboy... I'm stronger than most of the boys in my school and I can kick a ball better than most boys too. At that time, I befriended boys and all my best friends were boys. I had tried befriending girls but to my utter amazement, I don't understand them.. I don't know their social manoeuvres and they seem to stare at me when I talk to them in a direct manner.

So as I entered secondary school, things really started to change. My best friends were no longer feeling comfortable being close with a girl and they broke their friendship with me. I was then and still stuck in school with no friends, school is utterly painful. You see, the problem is that while I'm very boyish and rough, I am gentle inside and I do like sharing my feelings with someone. So I'm actually in the middle... Neither too girls nor too boyish. So girls aren't comfortable with me because I'm too rough..(having a face that looks like a boy doesn't helps) and boys shun me because I'm a girl acting oddly. To date, I still don't have a friend who is a girl which is painful because I long for one. I was distressed with my situation and I tried to be more girly. But I failed, because that isn't just me. And when I discovered that I was a lesbian, I couldn't help wondering now if my being tomboy has anything to do with it.

I long for a friend who is also a lesbian so that I could share my feelings... I can't seem to find any in Penang. Now, everything is bottled up inside and I'm growing distant from everyone. So basically, I 'm just wondering if there are any tomboys around here? Thanks for reading this.:slight_smile: I do appreciate it. And if my post here seems pressured, sorry, my mind is in whirl... I do not usually talk like this:icon_wink

2. Ohhai

Hiya Hun. I'm not a Tom boy in dress sense, but the way I act I am. I'm stronger than a lot of boys and will match their banter. Xxx

3. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a tomboy in all manners. I know how you feel. I've tried being girly as well and well that was the most awkward feeling ever, me in a dress wth? I've learned to love the way I am and thanks to EC (since I don't have much contact with LGBT community in RL) I've realized that there are people who actually love those traits :slight_smile: You can share with me if you feel the need to.

4. cali

Hey, I know how you feel. I've tried dressing girly, but, look in the mirror and keep thinking I look like a boy in a dress, even with long hair :frowning2: Feel better dressed like myself, but, worried everyone will know I'm gay.

Never had friends at school because of this; it's been better since university, but, I think that's just because I've got better at hiding.

5. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a tomboy, too. Short hair, comfortable clothes, hate make-up... climb trees... xD
    Not strong, though. When I was little I used to like football, but I was terrible at it.
    Also, when I have a crush on a girl, it is usually a tomboy. :slight_smile:
    To me, there is something special about being a tomboy. I feel free of traditional gender roles, i'm not afraid to play like a child and i think i'm beautiful without paying any effort.

6. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello :grin:
    I don't know if I am a tomboy, buy I always dress how I want and stuff, and I can relate a little bit to what oyu are saying as my family always wants me to be more girly D:
    Anyway I just wanted to say that if you need to talk to someone I will gladly listen :slight_smile:

7. Thank you for all the replies! I'm rather surprised and VERY RELIEVED to know that there are other tomboys around although I can't see any here in Penang.At least I know that I'm not the only one:slight_smile:
    Hey, thanks for offering your help! I really appreciate it. And yes, my parents also want me to be more girly. My mum forces me to keep my hair long and wear skirts and blouses. I can relate!

Hi, I would like to share with you. I need some other tomboy around to talk to, you know, so that I feel more comfortable with myself, and can find someone who can relate with me. This while, I've been talking to people that do not understand the way I talk and feel and they feel somewhat uncomfortable with me. And yes, I hate wearing dresses although I wear a pinafore to school everyday. I never looked good in them. My shoulders are a bit too bulky.:slight_smile: Are there people who love these traits? Really, I'm surprised! All I get are some awkward stares from people (especially girls) that do not know me yet, and for those who already know me, well they too are rather uncomfortable around me.*sigh*

Hi, and yes, I too don' that've friends in school because of this. It's painful isn't it to be somewhat alienated by our peers. Do hope things get better with you :slight_smile: And wow, you look boyish even in long hair? Frankly I look like a girl in long hair but like a boy when my hair's tied up. I know it doesn't make sense but it is.

Really, seeing these replies have made me feel relieved and not so odd anymore. Seeing replies about liking football, hating dresses and looking like a boy really is something that I've been feeling for a long time but. Was unable to share with anybody. So,thanks again!