1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding the past

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MerBear, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay, so i don't know if this means i'm in denial of being bisexual or anything but I recently had stopped questioning...and decided to go with the flow.

A lot of my past with guys, makes me question a lot ...and it freaks me out when i start question so i started to avoid it.

My dad showed me this old thing "what I want to do in life" and one of them was get married and i just crumpled it up and threw it away. My dad showed me an old picture of my ex boyfriend and I didn't want to look at it so i told him to throw it away because I really didn't want to keep it

my past with guys is the one thing that makes me question my sexuality all over again in a instant and when I question my sexuality, My anxiety goes up and I just question everything all over again.

Does this mean i'm in denial about being bisexual if I avoid my past such as throwing away things, I said in my notebook about guys or throwing away a picture of my ex boyfriend?

I only threw at away because I don't want to question again and I look too much into things and I didn't want to do that.

what do you think?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    NO, plenty of us are raised to believe we really want marriage, a house, and kids, and some of us really do and we're willing to deny ourselves the truth just to have these things. Just look into the later in life section of this site, and see how many were completely oblivious until their thirties, forties, fifties, and beyond.

Not everyone *knows* at five or six like you always hear of in stories.

3. MerBear

yeah, I mean...I just don't want to question again you know?
    its become a habit and i finally am not worrying about it but once the past gets shoved in my face, I question ALL over again and just stress

and i'm trying to avoid it but it makes me think ...like i'm in denial about being bisexual by avoiding my past with guys

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you were doing it JUST because they are boys then maybe...

There's nothing especially wrong with ditching remnants of old relationships...I'm fairly sure I don't have any pictures of my ex lying around anywhere.

5. MerBear

well, I mean...when i look at a guy, I don't freak out and avoid them. I don't avoid my ex boyfriends but its oI think,only when someone brings up my my past with guys that I question

#5 MerBear, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds more like others are reminding you of your past with guys, maybe in-denial themselves, and using it as leverage to try and sway you in that direction. It also sounds like their attempts might be working.

If putting the issue aside is impossible for you, go with the option that's more comfortable to you, and stick with it. Nothing has to be set in stone right here and now, and it's very common to have doubts, question, experiment...

I know it's vexing; we all want to find our place in this world and feel accepted, but sometimes, it's best to enjoy the present moment, without worry of the past or the future. Regardless, you'll still be you. Our actions alone don't define us, and anyone who judges you on that alone shouldn't be worth the trouble, so pay less attention to what they think or want, and instead, what you do.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So have you been with a girl before? Is it a case of people are saying well you USED to like boys and you have no evidence (a gf or crush or whatever) to say that they are wrong?

8. MerBear

I have had crushes on girls but no, i haven not been with a girl

Its just when i was younger, I talked about boys all the time so this would kind of confuse them becauuse they would say "you can't be lesbian"

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a BS line of reasoning. Straight people don't have to had been in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex to know they're straight, and neither should anyone else.

The whole, "Well, you haven't even been with one so how do you know?" line can be a double-edged sword, since it's sometimes used to invalidate someone's identity.

Who says gay men and women can't crush, love, or even enjoy sex with members of the opposite sex? You seemed more-or-less satisfied with "lesbian" a few weeks ago, and I'd hate to think this constant doubting is an effect of others not being able to handle that. You don't have anything to prove to anyone, and if they can't believe or accept it, tough. You're not here to please them.

10. A lot of people were raised to believe we want marriage as if our life depended on it. You'll find out about your sexuality soon.

11. MerBear

i have already but, i dont want to go back into questioning again so im avoiding it
    questioning is a bad habit of mine so im trying to not question again over stupid shit