1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genetic?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by cali, Sep 3, 2013.

1. cali

Was just wondering how much of sexual orientation is genetic? My father is also gay and so is one of his sisters, that seems a high percentage in my immediate family, so I'm thinking genetics has a lot to do with it. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sexuality is genetic, but as a trait it's a lot more complicated than, say, eye colour. So expression isn't so straightforward. I believe the exact mechanism is still being worked out.

3. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm beginning to wonder if genetics plays a role myself. I'm gay, I have an aunt who is trans m2f, And from messing around on the web I found out her daughter is bi or at least bi-curious (she doesn't know I know) so like the OP I think thats an awfully high percentage for genetics not to play at least some role (my mom has 3 siblings and they had a total of 8 children thats 25% of my family over 2 generations)

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

The science is still pretty inconclusive as to the role of genetics. I remember once hearing something about homosexual behavior running in families in frogs, but, well, humans aren't frogs, obviously. So, basically, no one knows to what extent genetics play a role in human sexuality and gender.

I think there is probably a genetic component to them, but it's not going to be straightforward. Very, very few things have an easily identifiable link to a specific set of genes. The closest analogy would probably be height -- genes set an upper limit but environmental factors, both before and after birth, play a huge role in the final outcome.