1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I deal with having no sexual identity?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Sep 7, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've asked a lot of people for help on figuring out my sexual orientation. Most people tell me not to label myself. I cannot handle that. I need to have a label and identity. Is there any way to make it easier not to have a label? Whenever I try not to label myself i just feel horrible and empty inside and it makes me want a label even more. When people tell me not to label myself it can even make me feel suicidal sometimes.

2. Saint Otaku

Try "Bi/Pansexual with tendencies towards <insert person type here> ." I don't know you too well though...

And don't get all depressed ma'am! If sexuality is stressing you out, focus on something other than sex! At your age, I'm sure you have studies plus all the world to think about! Maybe a hobby, a nice tedious, mind-numbing hobby. I prefer crocheting amigurumi to get my mind off things.

3. fluteloop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Say you are questioning? Maybe that would help

4. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Simply do not dwell on it and go with the flow of your attractions.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really identify with bi/pan people for some reason. I identify better with gay people even though I feel like I'm occasionally attracted to guys. I might not be attracted to guys because a lot of people with HOCD experience false attraction. I also feel sexually aroused randomly a lot of the time. I hope my attractions to guys are just false attractions, so I can just call myself a lesbian and move on. I just don't do well without a label, I need one to function. Since I don't have one right now I'm not functioning at all. I almost feel like I'm going to kill myself.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 11:18 PM ----------

That isn't a proper sexuality. It's just as bad as having no label.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

That doesn't really work. I get a lot of false attractions. They absolutely drive me crazy.

6. Saint Otaku

I seems to me you're more upset with not clearly understanding yourself -- i.e. "aroused randomly" -- than with the label itself. The label would increase you certainty in yourself, but the cookie-cutter label you're looking for simply does not.

You don't seem to quite know yourself; you're still young, so this is quite common. With your sexuality highly questioned, you might have to fall a bit as you learn more about yourself. But if you keep dwelling upon wanting immediate certainty, you'll just end up stressing over one problem when you have the rest of the test to take, and little time to take it. Anxiety gets one nowhere, you must keep moving, that is imperative.

#6 Saint Otaku, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. Twinkletoes81xx

Figuring out your sexuality may take some time and it is different for everyone. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I remember when I started questioning my sexuality. I identified as bisexual for a bit but it didn't feel like it fit right. It was only this year when I discovered the word pansexual and it all started to make sense. Some people don't label themselves and thats completely fine. So my advice would be take some time to think about it. And if you want a label, choose one that you feel fits right with you. I understand what it's like to feel depressed, I hope things get better for you. :slight_smile: <3

8. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    There is no such thing as a false attraction; if there was; it would be used as an excuse to be in denial for those who cannot come out to themselves.

9. flymetothemoon

Would identifying yourself on a scale like the Kinsey scale help? I've found that very helpful myself, but I understand it's not right for everyone. Might be something to look at and consider, though.

10. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    There definitely is. It's a feeling of anxiety that causes me to feel something down there. It's not the same feeling I get when I have real attraction. When I have false attraction gender, age, attractiveness don't matter. It usually happens when I'm feeling anxious or horny.
    I don't feel a lot of real attraction. I only remember feeling real attraction towards girls. This is probably why I don't identify with bi/pan people. I've tried that identity on before, but it didn't feel right.

11. Saint Otaku

Do you think you're looking at it too simplistically. There are many factors to ones sexual identity, which you seem to be confused about. Maybe you're sexually attracted many people, but romantically exclusive to females. Not sure if that terminology is all that clear/accurate.

12. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    No. When I have a lot of distractions in my life all my false attractions disappear. I still feel real attractions. I think my false attractions are comparable to that voice inside of my head that tells my I want to put my hand on a hot stove or jump off a building. I don't really want to do that, but an annoying voice in my head tells me to.

13. Saint Otaku

Maybe make your own label, "Lesbian with false attractions." If it helps at all, you seem to want to fit into a major label that includes these "false attractions." Maybe you want to label these "false attractions" themselves and not yourself.

14. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do you put false attractions in quotation marks. Do you believe they are real attractions?

15. Femmeme

What's wrong with calling yourself a lesbian? If you are mostly attracted to women and want relationships with women it's pretty cut and dry, you're a lesbian. Not all lesbians are Kinsey 6's, in fact I'd ever say most aren't.

I mean this in the kindest gentlest way possible, so please read it that way. You've been posting this say thread for months now. I've replied to a couple of them. It seems pretty clear that you're a lesbian, so what's holding you back from accepting that? What are you afraid of?

16. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Your attractions do not disappear; if they do, they would never return, they would be non-existent. That feeling of anxiety is probably due to uncertainty or discomfort or what not.

17. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Part of me wants to accept a lesbian identity and part of me still wants to be straight. When I had a crush on a lesbian at fourteen that kind of helped me accept my same sex attractions if it meant I could be in a relationship with her and be as "cool" as her. After the crush faded I started to hate my sexual orientation again. I'm also pretty insecure about my identity in general. I'm insecure about my taste in music, being emotionally weak and obsessive, being immature and extremely hyperactive, having no friends and not being able to get enough schoolwork done to graduate.

#17 ChromeNerd, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From the last post I'd say that your issues go way beyond sexual orientation. The fact that you're so insecure in most aspects of your life and worry so much to me shows that you may suffer from severe anxiety or another issue that could be affecting all aspects of your life. This could be why you're struggling so much with your sexual orientation. You might wish to consider getting some help to get these emotions/insecurities under control, then you might find that you don't struggle with your orientation as much. Have you thought about therapy or doctors to talk about your feelings on life in general and all your issues rather than just focusing in in the sexual orientation bit?

If you get help it may make it easier to accept yourself as lesbian/bi or straight...whatever label you want to accept. But your mind seems to be all over the place at the moment.

Good luck...I hope it gets better for you :slight_smile:

19. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I already have a councellor and I've already been diagnosed with anxiety problems.

20. srslywtf

DO you have sex? who do you have sex with? who do you want to have sex with?