1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still confused after 23 years

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mystical, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mystical

Delafield (30 minutes from Milwaukee), WI
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi.

So, I wanted some input and possibly to connect with other people who may be in the same boat as I am.

Essentially, I'm just plain confused. I have no idea what my sexuality is. (Oh yes, I'm a female). I think I sometimes find women attractive, and sometimes men (although I have trouble getting past their bodies which aren't as attractive to me). But I can't always tell. When I do, it's usually people (much) older than me (which is not within the norms obviously), or characters from movies essentially. I'm pretty sure I am mainly just terrified and ashamed of feeling anything at all romantic (from some past things I think), plus I'm pretty bad with signals in all directions. I also have bad body image issues (eating disorder and self injury stuff) so that stops me too. So, probably evidently, I haven't dated anyone really or "been" with anyone either. Now it's been so long (all my 23 years) that I'm pretty sure it will never happen, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I don't quite know what I'm wanting to get from this posting. Just wanted to see if anyone identifies with any of what I said.

Thank you

2. Skyline

So, you're only 23? Both my parents didn't really date anyone until they were almost 30. Now they get into relationships easier. Don't set deadlines for yourself based on the people you see around you. You'll get there when you're ready.

As for me, I'm 20 and still haven't found someone I really like. I'm only attracted to females, but even so I find many to be unattractive. So maybe the reason you are a little confused is simply because you don't always meet people that are attractive to you?

3. mystical

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That is entirely possible. I like characters from movies and tv shows which, more than likely, sets too high a standard. Especially when considering my view of myself. It's good to hear that some people (like your parents) didn't start dating until later and that it all worked out though!

4. Skyline

I'm glad I could help lift your spirits a little. I also find myself attractived to ficinal characters, (often anime). In fact, there have been a few male characters I've felt attracted too I think, or maybe I just admire them.

5. mystical

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, it's so hard when there are some great characters from fiction (whatever media) and they're more attractive (and for me safer, because they're unattainable and never going to happen in real life) than people in the "real" world.

6. Skyline

Mhm. Even so, while we enjoy them and let them confort us, there's the facts of life that remind us to keep trying with real people. Even if it takes awhile, we shouldn't give up and shut them out. We'll regret it later on.

7. mystical

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah. I just get so scared and ashamed I guess.

8. Mister Gaga

I'm almost 21, and have never dated anyone, so yeah, I can relate to what you're saying.

I've had that phase where all I wanted was to have someone in my life, and I started a virtual relationship with a guy, and that didn't last a month.

I'm now at a point of my life where I decided not to care because such things don't work on command.

I'm focusing on my studies instead and it's all I care about right now. I'm a med student, and still have 4 years to go before I'm done with it, so it's 4 more years of solitude, since I can't change town before, and mine is pretty boring.

9. mystical

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Wow, that's very cool. I work as a standardized patient who acts out different patient profiles and gives med students feedback on their communication and bedside manor. I loved A&P a lot! Going into psych though. Anyway, I can certainly understand just focusing on studies. I'm a big nerd myself.

10. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm afraid of romantic stuff too, I don't really wear my heart on my sleeve like people around me seem to. I'm 20 and I don't really feel like I connect with people that often, so that's really difficult when you're questioning. I find men pretty hot at this point in my life but my feelings don't really go further than being find of someone, and even that doesn't happen much. I used to really like girls but now I don't know how I feel about them. Everything's confusing :slight_smile:

11. lovebff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    well i'm also 23 yrs old and confused about myself, i always found myself falling for my friends and got attracted to both boys and girls but mostly to girls. i'm kind of afraid of boys ... and feel safe with girls

12. mystical

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    me too. i feel safer with girls too. i like guys too though-the anatomy just freaks me out.

---------- Post added 27th Sep 2013 at 12:06 PM ----------

I definitely understand that. Very confusing and disorienting. Especially when you don't want to be alone, but you're too scared to do anything either.