1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faking it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ThatGirl, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ThatGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After a year ago, when I told my mom I might've been Bisexual, she's started to hate me. She started favoring my sisters over me, and she pays no attention to me. She wants me to be the girly normal girl she's always wanted all of us to turn out like. She doesn't like that I'm more boyish rather than being like my sister. Should I just fake being straight for her to like me better?

2. Mister Gaga

Well, it's up to you to decide wether you want to continue lying to her and repressing your feelings just to make her like the version of you you're showing her, and which by the way you are not, or be happy and emancipated as you are.

If you think she's favoring them over you, it's probably because she is still processing the fact that you're different, and I think she makes it obvious for you so you start acting girly, but I suggest you don't get into her game, just give her time, she'll eventually understand that there's no use in doing that anymore and she'll treat you equally.

3. Porto Alegre

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course your mom's opinion matters but so does the rest of your life, which at some point will be away from her. Maybe you could try not talking about it with her if it bothers her, but try as hard as you can to stay true to your own feelings.

I know moms can be tough. I'm going through a questioning phase in my 50's (and I'm a mom myself) and I would say I'm bisexual. I find myself thinking that I would never have to tell my mother because she lives in another city and she's 87. But if I had a girlfriend she would likely feel insulted (with good reason).

Faking it with yourself never works.

4. poison53sumac

I'd say don't fake it with yourself. My mom doesn't even believe in bisexuality, even though she's all progressive/open-minded. My dad believes it exists but seems to think I'll still automatically end up with guys. And I just don't know. But since these are their general opinions, and I've never "come out" to either of them, I can't say they treat me any differently.
    If your mom wants to try to force you different, probably she's in a kind of denial stage or change-the-person stage. I say, stick it out and don't change. Not sure if talking to her would help--she might just deny it--but it's a possibility.
    Also ask--how much would it mean to you for her to "like you better?" Is it worth faking who you are? Would you just "fake it" until you find some way to be free later on, or spend the rest of your life in her little box? If the latter is the case, don't pretend to be something you're not, because it can't be worth it. If your mom wants to keep her mind closed, well, her prerogative. Good luck.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think many parents have this child-rearing philosophy that their kids must grow up to be just like them, and a bit better. And have more kids that will continue that pattern. Whether is a society thing or deeply engrained behaviour patterns, survival of the species yada yada could be debated, and is somewhat irrelevant to your issue.

The point I'm trying to make is that some parents, once their discover their child is somewhat "different", don't know how to relate as if every aspect of that child was different from them when it's really only a few things - and when that "difference" involves sexuality they often have the misconception (pun intended) that their child will never have children/family of their own.

There's a possibility she's not favoring your sisters as much as spending more time with them because she thinks they all have more in common in her currently limited vision of what girls/women are/do.

Maybe rather than faking it (i.e. pretend fawning all over whatever actor/singer/football player/nascar driver is "hot" in your circle of friends and family), you could focus on whatever interests you and your mom still have in common. And if that doesn't work, in the end basing your self-worth on other people's opinion can lead to all sorts of problems for you. As someone said "Your opinion of me is none of my business". Be strong. Be you.