1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did any bisexuals later came out as gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by momart, Oct 1, 2013.

1. momart

I'm so confused and scared.
    I feel that I am bisexual, as I have and still do find men attractive, but lately, I have been having newfound feelings for women. I find it so hard to accept bisexuality because I am terrified that I am just going through a phase, or just passing through en route to lesbianland.
    I don't feel like a lesbian. I can't seem to accept being straight either. Yet somehow bisexuality seems even harder to accept.

Did many gay or lesbian or trans people come out as bi at some stage? Did you do it because you still felt attracted to both sexes or because it was easier to be accepted?
    Can any bi people relate to struggling to accept being bi because it's not one or the other? Are any bi people afraid they might one day no longer be attracted to one sex? Are bi people sure it's not a phase?

Thanks ^^

2. Bright Eyes

Although I am not bi, nor have I ever come out as bi, as a fairly young lesbian, I am no stranger to th "What if it's just a phase?" Question.
    I do know that a lot of people (girls especially) who come out as bi, then switch. I don't think there's anything wrong with this. Sexuality is fluid. Whatever you feel now I'm sure you are feeling genuenly. Even if it is just a phase, people should respect how you feel now.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I came out as bi at first and the longer I was with girls the more certain I felt that I was a lesbian. For me that took about 2 to 3 years tho.

4. Split Arrows

Yes, it happens, but I wish it didn't. The more people that adopt the bi label an then realize later that they are exclusively homosexual only serves to strengthen the problems we already face, such as: bisexual erasure, invisibility, stereotypes of "confusion", etc.

5. That's what happened to me but that's not true for everyone.

There are bisexuals. I just wasn't one

6. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've seen it happen more than once. People start as bi because they're unsure of who they are, and then realize they're either just curious and straight, or homosexual. Not saying people do it on purpose, I am guessing it's just because a different label than that wouldn't fit them.

I am personally 100% bi, I have been attracted to both men and women in the same way, I'm just as likely to check out a guy as much as a girl, and I don't see that changing whether it's in 5, 10 or 20 years, no it's not a phase, but at first I did have my doubts, I thought I was just choosing the "easy way out", or that I was scared of admitting to myself that I was into girls.

I think these are the moments where labels aren't really necessary. You like what you like, and that should be enough for you and whoever is around, and if you ever have doubts, clarity might come with time, and experience.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right.

As for the OP's question, one such famous person is Elton John. There are others. Right now, I can't think of them.

#7 Tightrope, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. imjustmeok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could see myself coming out as gay even though I still get turned on by women more then men. To be honest it's all the posturing that a straight male has to go through. I'm not strong, not masculine, dig women's fashion and etc, etc. Really it would be so much easier to just say screw it and not bother with women anymore because I feel like I'm not man enough for them anyway. I blame television commercials and drama shows. :slight_smile:

Really though at the end of the day I'm still going to be the same person I was. I am who I am and like what I like. I know I can't go all gay with my feelings for women as they are. It would be easier though in some ways!

9. Joanne

Its entirely possible that in the process of acceptance and dealing with problems, people end up identifying with something on the way before fully processing that data and finding their true self.

A similar path happened with me accepting my gender, first went to pangender, then as the denial lifted and I felt free to explore who I am and what I like I eventually established that I'm female.

As for orientation, at first denial had me afraid of being gay, but then I settled on bisexual/pansexual, and then eventually I decided that the physical nature of someone is irrelevant to me and that who they are internally, and how they bond with me is the more important factor.

The web of false ideas that denial generates is very complex, and takes time to clear away, but if you just take the time to observe your mind and listen, eventually this web of complexity will be cleared.

#9 Joanne, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guilty of coming out as bisexual then gay because it was easier for me. It wasn't a stepping stone, I simply could/would not accept myself as a gay woman. Once I became more comfortable with who I truly was, things became easier to deal with. Plus, I was totally manipulated into thinking there was something wrong with me. I felt ashamed, and IMO, being bisexual is easier. I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone. I know there are tons of people here who have struggled with who they are. Some still are struggling with their sexuality, but I am as well, but it does get easier every other day. My struggles may not be the same as others, but I've been through hell and back.

I was dating a guy when I discovered that I was gay and not bisexual. I had always known that I liked women, but I never knew how I felt about men. My feelings for my ex were genuine, but love wasn't enough to keep me around. My feelings for women had always been stronger than my feelings for men. I honestly believed that I could change somehow; therefore, I tried to pray away the gay. However, it only made things worse and I was afraid for my children, not only that it wasn't fair to those I have dated. Although, I was always honest about my feelings. So, I decided to come out again and now, I think I'm pretty sure that I got it right this time.

And I surely do not believe that I perpetuated the bisexual stereotypes, because I cannot control how other people feel. I was never confused about who I was, I was afraid to be myself. Most people would say I'm confused and that I'm really bisexual because of my past. But I will not let my past dictate my future and that's with the woman of my dreams. Yes, I am open minded, to the possibilities of falling in love with a person and not their gender. Labels are kind of making me ill...but I can see why they are important.

#10 pinklov3ly, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  11. Waffles

Guilty as charged. ^^; Similar to pinklov3ly, I was dating a girl at the time. I was like "yeah I'm absolutely bi. Whatevs I'm cool with this." But soon after, I realized she was the one who had to initiate any romantic physical interaction i.e. holding hands and kissing. It was at that point I finally concluded that I WAS indeed gay. I ended up coming out to her and she surprised me by coming out as bi. She kinda saw it coming though...

So it's definitely not uncommon for a bi person to later come out as gay or lesbian. ^^

12. biggayguy

I came out as bi' for several years. I think it was because I didn't want to let go of the fantasy of having the traditional hetero family.

13. HeyJoe

HeyJoe Guest

My friends label me gay .__.
    But I label myself as bisexual because I still have those fancy imaginations of having sex and intimate kisses with girls. But I really can't see myself having a family with a woman and have kids with a woman.. But I label myself bisexual and more on the gay side? What?! That was really confusing haha!

14. lovely lesbian

Although I'm not bi I've kinda somewhere know I was gay but I never came out as bi ever and then again I never came out as straight either because just amuse you are

15. Lindsey23

I did this too.

16. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought I was bi for a while, but then realized I was gay. You'll figure it out, don't worry. I know it's hard, but to be gay or bi is totally fine, and whatever you are will come to you sooner or later.

17. momart

does it feel like there's a secret inside you and you're not sure what it is? Or that there's a part of you never revealed? Something is keeping it locked up?

18. DrkRayne

I told myself I was bi for a while....didnt last long. I dated boys as much as a i could, but after a while I knew what was what.

19. gamma

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It happens all the time, every single one of my friends who now idenify as gay first came out as bi. This is why I don't want to come out as bi until I'm really sure. I've heard too many nasty biphobic remarks about them (us?) being confused/in denial/slutty to feel comfortable adding to that by going from bi to gay (label wise).

20. Split Arrows

I once heard someone say that bisexuality is the GSM credit card..."bi now, gay later"