1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labeling question

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by questioning25, Oct 2, 2013.

1. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all, so just an observation/question. I don't like labeling my sexuality, but I think it's because of the fear I attach to the labels. I'm afraid of being called "gay" because, well, ok that's obvious (fear of family reaction, say). But I'm equally afraid of being labeled "bisexual", because I think I (rather wrongly, but "subconsciously") stereotype bisexuals as "liars": people who try to milk whatever part of their straight sexuality that exists, because they're afraid. This is a rather horrible, and I know the "answer" to the question is to relax on the labeling/judging...

Anyway, just wondering if others have had similar experiences with fear and labels.

2. Skyline

Back when I wasn't sure if I was a transgender or not, I was afraid of calling myself one because I thought it would be like admitting that I might want an operation someday. Then I realized I shouldn't be afraid of what I want, especially when it isn't even something I want yet. I explored further and realized gender identity, just like sexual orientation, is more like a spectrum and labels are just their to describe what area you are closest to.

You are are unique individual, and while labels can help you communicate to others more easily, they can never fully describe you!