1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by momart, Oct 2, 2013.

1. momart

Is it possible because of truama or shame around sex with one gender, you can feel safer and think yourself into being actually attracted to another gender because you don't feel a threat from them?

For example, assuming you are a straight female; if you were sexually victimised by a man ( sorry guys... ^^") you may feel more comfortable around women because you don't ever feel the threat or memory of ever being assaulted by a woman. The past truama makes you uncomfortable around men and then you mistake the safety you feel around women for attraction to them?

Is it possible to be so ashamed of sex and relationships that you can think yourself as an orientation as a defence to prevent ever having to face sex or relationships?

By "think yourself into an orientation" I mean never having been consciously attracted to same-sex, opposite-sex, all sexes before, but rationalising now that you are because of past events and how you feel about the "attacker's gender" now, the one you considered yourself formally attracted too?

Does that make any sense?

2. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It makes sense what your saying, i wondered the same thing about myself but for me looking back to before, I realised that although a factor most likely didn't make me gay.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like all of your posts and threads here are focused on questioning, and that's understandable, because it can be challenging and confusing to come to terms with whatever you are when you start questioning your sexual orientation.

To answer your direct question: There's no credible support in the psych or sexology literature for the idea that trauma (sexual abuse, etc) can change sexual orientation. It can and does often cause people to think about their orientation earlier in life.

For example, if you are female, straight, and have severe sexual abuse from a man, you might feel safer around women, and might even find it easy to be close to women... but if you are straight, then you're never really going to feel sexually connected/attracted to another woman.

Likewise, if you're a straight guy and you are sexually abused by an older female (most commonly in this circumstance, your mother), then you may feel very uncomfortable around women and find it easier to be around guys. But again, if you are straight, you won't feel a deep physical/sexual connection when having sex with another guy, it will always feel somewhat to very "off."

Now... complicating matters, most people, when they start to have same-sex feelings, desperately don't want them, and will do anything to convince themselves that these feelings aren't real, or there's some explanation for them, or it's a phase, or it was caused by this-or-that (theory being, that means they can change). And that's all part of the normal processing of a loss (in this case, loss of identity as straight.) The stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. So denial is very common, and sometimes denial gets very elaborate.

As an aside, this is part of where the bogus diagnosis of HOCD came from; while OCD is a very real condition that people suffer from, it is pretty rare, and nearly always, people with OCD obsess over more than just their sexual orientation; HOCD is a bullshit diagnosis promoted by the religious right to justify, for people who are gay and in denial, that they really aren't gay. And it's a huge disservice to both people with real OCD, and people who are gay and in denial.

Finally, there is zero evidence in the credible psych/sexology/scientific literature to indicate that shame has any impact on sexual orientation, except that shame may keep many people who are gay from accepting that and coming out.

So the bottom line is really where your attractions are... when you are out and about, at the beach, at the mall, wherever... where do your eyes go? What parts of a man's or woman's body attract you? When you masturbate, what are you thinking about? That's where you'll find the real answer about where your attractions lie, and that's all that matters. Because that's unchangeable, isn't affected by trauma, etc.

4. momart

Thank you! That really helped ^^
    Sorry for spamming all the forum! ^^''

5. splites

Out Status:
    A few people
    As a person who endured and survived molestation from the age of 8 until 18, I'd rather say that the experience "made me" more straight, more confused, and more in denial of my true orientation. I believe if I'd never gone through such abuse I'd have come out as lesbian as a teenager.

This thing, sexual abuse makes you gay, I'm not buying it. It's bullcrap in my opinion.