1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really like girls?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Rolypolypaulie, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Rolypolypaulie

Out Status:
    All but family
    Backstory: I'm a ftm transgender teenager. My whole life growing up, I've only had interest in boys (as far as I remember), but when I was about fourteen or fifteen I started finding girls attractive and I've dated a handful since then. I still find girls attractive (more so than men now). But my girlfriend told me that sexuality is something that you're born with and since I didn't like girls when I was young, I don't really like them now. She said that one day I'll admit that I'm gay and I'll only date guys. I feel like there's something wrong with me because I'm mostly attracted to girls now and what she said is making me doubt myself even though I'm 100% certain that I like girls.

Do I really like them? Or did I just force myself or something to start liking them when I started identifying as trans*? (I've felt like a boy since preschool, started accepting and embracing it at 15)

2. Twinkletoes81xx

If you're certain that you like girls then you probably do. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself, only you are able to figure out what you like. There is nothing wrong with you. Sexuality is something that you're born with, but it takes time to develop and it's different for everyone. Some people only figure it out later in life and some always know. I didn't realize I liked girls until I was twelve. I hope this helps. <3 :slight_smile:

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

If you think you like girls, odds are you do.

Sexuality is a lot more complicated than your girlfriend is making it out to be. I mean, by her definition, I am 100% asexual because I wasn't attracted to anyone in any capacity until either 12 years old or 19 years old, depending on how you define attraction. As the Twinkletoes said, some people don't realize what their sexuality is until later in life. However, I would go one step further and say that, for some people at least, sexuality isn't set in stone at birth. That doesn't mean you can purposefully change it (you can't), but especially for people with some degree of bisexuality or asexuality in their orientation, things can change over time.

4. Cerith23

I only started liking girls romantically since I was about 16. Before that, I had no feelings towards them at all. Since then, I've started finding masculine women sexually attractive to a slight degree, and this attraction has been slowly increasing. Although in my experience my strongest attractions have been towards guys, I now consider myself biromantic, possibly bisexual, although I definitely would have identified as straight before. This is a problem which has been nagging me, as my feelings towards girls seem less definite than yours do, but yes, I think sexuality does change over time. If you are as definite about your feelings as you seem in your post, then I think that yes, you do like girls.