1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my sexuality determined by?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BearLover, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that being gay is not a choice and is not genetic but is to do with the mothers hormones during pregnancy, apparantely the female hormone can make a male gay in the womb, usually when she has many kids.

But can my sexuality be influenced by what has happened in my life also? I had never seen my dad throughout my whole childhood so I think this is why I like older men, a lot older. I like to see an older guy that is smart, has experience in life and would understand me as he too was young once, like a dad should be like.

I don't think I was born attracted to older men, it was probably developed through the absence of my dad in childhood. I don't like the idea of being with a younger man so I don't think its down to being born with it.

Can the age range of who you attracted to be influenced what has happened in my life or is that what I was born with? I can remember liking middle aged woman with big breasts ever since I was young.

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Sexuality is complicated.

It isn't a choice. There does appear to be a genetic component to it, and prenatal hormones have an impact. But what exactly determines whether someone is gay, straight, bi, or whatever is unknown. It's probably an interplay of a ton of different factors, just like most other things to do with human behavior, personality, and identity.

However, when it comes down the specifics of attraction, environment definitely plays a role. The classic example of this would have to be preferences in weight for women. Even 50 or 60 years ago, skinny women were generally considered unattractive. (Google "1950s weight gain ads" for an example.) Now, of course, the opposite is true, at least in the US and most other Western countries.

So you may or may not have been born with an attraction to older people. Though I wouldn't necessarily say it's a result of an absent father. Human psychology doesn't always have straightforward connections between things.

3. LILuke

This exactly. Sexuality arises from a number of complicated sources, and trying to pin down individual reasons just doesn't work.

4. SilentCreatures

Perhaps it is the maturity you are attracted to. I know for me this is the case. In my 20's I never related to my peers but to those much older.

Strangely enough that has changed and attraction for me is quite broad regarding age, guys in early 20's upwards. No I'm not chatting you up either lol

Don't overthink it too much - enjoy it - you never know, as you grow older your perception could too :slight_smile:

5. Priiiide

I personally do not think having an absent father has anything to do with sexuality. Because otherwise majority of the population would be gay/bi as there are a lot of broken families. And at the same time there are plenty of gay people who have "traditional" families where both parents are present and they turn out gay.

6. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I do get on much better with older people, I can actually have a good conversation with them unlike most young people.