1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay or afraid of the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by js28, Oct 18, 2013.

1. js28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been questioning my sexuality for a while now. One question that keeps coming back to me is "am I gay or am I afraid of women?", "am I curious about guys because it seems easier?".

I'm just wondering if anyone else (gay, bi, lesbian, trans etc.) feels/has felt this way? How did you deal with it?

2. Techno Kid

I have never been afraid of women, but at one point I was questioning my orientation. I took lots and lots of self reflection.
    ..not sure if that helped. : 3

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could be wrong but to determine one's sexual orientation I'd rather ask first what I like than what I'm afraid of. I'm lesbian because I like women not because I'm afraid of men.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IIRC that's what I felt like in my teenage years before I was comfortable with admitting that I'm gay to myself. I then took a moment of self-reflection and it ended up being like I am not afraid of women, I could go through the motions with them but then I found myself at a loss of envisioning it. By that I mean, even if I did find a girl that I was comfortable with, I could probably sustain a relationship with them; however, there would be something missing. Does this make any sense?

5. NouvelleVague

I don't feel afraid by the opposite sex, they simply don't stimulate interest for me. I'd say, if you're gay, you get excited about being with same-sex and it feels like you don't have to work or go against your will. Women can be quite scary though, I admit it, but, hey, if you don't find them interesting (physically/mentally) and don't want to actually spent time with them, ...Well, probably a little gay ? :slight_smile:

6. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought this way too at some points throughout my life. That the reason why I was having such bad luck with men was because I was actually afraid of them. Afraid to get romantically and physically close to them... But now after reflection, and throwing myself into the lesbian scene, I realised that I wasn't afraid of them at all. It was just that I never thought of myself as a potential lesbian until now. After realising this, I feel happier - like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.