1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure of Orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TheMopPetal2, Oct 22, 2013.

1. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a 22 year old male and lately(as in the past few months or so) I've been questioning my orientation. I know at the very least I'm bi but I seem to prefer guys over girls I've found that it's a lot easier for me to fall for a guy than a girl. Although I can be picky when it comes to guys and girls that I find attractive I seem to gravitate more so towards guys and once in a blue moon I'll have sexual thoughts about girls but the majority of the time it's about guys.

I'm just trying to figure out my orientation before I start coming out to friends and family as I want to be sure about it first. Given what's written above, would this make me gay or bisexual or something else?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's really up to you but if you still like girls then you would I suppose be bisexual with a preference for males.

Just remember the label isn't that important. Some will use the label you gave yourself. A bunch won't know what it means. A few will give you a different one. A couple might suggest it's not real, and the chances are none of them will fit right anyway! :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi MopPetal2! Welcome to EC!

Something of use was suggested here a few days ago that might help you. It's a two-step procedure that will take about 4 days.

1) wake up tomorrow convinced that you are gay. Go outside, look at guys, just pretend, of course, but just label yourself "gay" for a couple of days. Use your imagination, you can even dress just a little more fabulously during those two days.

2) after 48 hours of that, wake up straight. Notice girls, do what any straight guy would do...

Best to keep a journal during these 4 days, notice what you notice, write down how you feel, etc.

It just might work...

4. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that might have already answered my question greatwhale as I've already kind of done that subconsciously and never realized it until just now.

I plan to come out to a friend of mine sometime soon and I'm a little nervous about it and I waswondering what the best way to word it would be?

Thanks for the help thus far!

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Best' is debatable depending on how your friend might take it.

My friends for example, would have responded to "So it turns out I'm gay!" as well as anything else, but I know lots of people wouldn't.

Perhaps something along the lines of "SO I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and I wanted to tell someone..."

6. PerryRob2008

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'll find out that when you come out to people you'll see a range of reactions. I remember when I told my friends some of them just accepted it like nothing while others told me that they knew before I did. If they are true friends they will accept you no matter what and in my case it has even caused stronger bonds between them and I.

7. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I came out to one of my old friends from high school. I figured that would be a good starting point since she's bi. Her and her girlfriend are the only people that really know thus far. It went pretty well as I expected it to.